Vermont

Pics
Hi all,

I have only ever had one or two broody Marans.
I agree last year seemed like someone was always broody.
idunno.gif
Year of the broody maybe?

Keara how are this?

this what?

Aceschix, told my husband about Chickenstock and he is up for it if there is actual chicken soup to eat!

Cute!! That is something my DH would say!! We can certainly put it on the potluck list and see if someone will bring some. Soup is not so popular in July though
lau.gif
. Sure hope to see you and meet the rest of the family!
jumpy.gif

Anybody ever have a leghorn go broody?

I have 4 little leghorns, the flightiest and most skittish birds I've ever seen, but also the most prolific layers of all my hens. My chickens have found a small space between the box of nests and the wall that is 5 inches wide and a foot deep. Now all the little leghorns, a few of my rocks and one of my fat BCM (I wish I could see her backing in there!) are laying their eggs in the space.

One of my little leghorns went in there, I assumed to lay an egg, but she settled into a spot then started using her beak to roll the egg of one of the other hens under herself. She kept pushing it around until it was tucked under her just so. Is that just normal behavior in the presence of eggs in a nest, or a sign of her going broody?

I have yet to find her, or any other hen, on a nest box when I shut them in for the night though, they are all on the roost. Won't they stay on the nest even at night when they go broody?

Hi everyone!

Any one interested in adopting a big beautiful black Orpington roo? He is a year old, his father is 3/4 English and his mother was either also 3/4 English or an American Orpington. He is truly gorgeous but is becoming a bully to my favorite blue roo so he must go. I'd rather rehome him than eat him! Any takers?

Also loving this Spring like weather! Strange New England weather this year! I have some Scheffer and Blehm line Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Americauna cockerels that will need to go if anyone is interested let me know before they go to freezer camp. We hatched 7 boys to 2 girls.... Also have extra Marans cockerels from great lines as well. If any interest please contact me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello from Middlebury! I'm new to BYC and new to chickens (just placed my order at Agway yesterday). So excited!!! I'm still researching DIY coops and am going to run to the store today to figure out lumber costs. Any pointers? At this point I'm just hoping to keep them all alive and happy (plus, maybe they'll gobble some ticks too - I know my dogs would appreciate that). I'll worry about eggs and meat later. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom