Vermont

Pics
I lost one full grown chicken this week to the heat and some of my newly hatched chicks. They just couldn't stay cool enough with it being almost 100 out. They had water at all times and food but even with Mama to help them and tell them what to do they still got to hot and died. The hen I lost was 1 year 2 months and died in the coop in one of the nesting boxes. She had no problems before that day but boy it was hot out yesterday. I have given each coop triple waterers and I am changing them three times a day so that the water is cold. Scared to go back to work on Monday.

((hugs)) at least this week is going to be much cooler again...
I lost one full grown chicken this week to the heat and some of my newly hatched chicks. They just couldn't stay cool enough with it being almost 100 out. They had water at all times and food but even with Mama to help them and tell them what to do they still got to hot and died. The hen I lost was 1 year 2 months and died in the coop in one of the nesting boxes. She had no problems before that day but boy it was hot out yesterday. I have given each coop triple waterers and I am changing them three times a day so that the water is cold. Scared to go back to work on Monday.

Hope summer is going well for everyone, been busy here!

Lost one hen mysteriously, either due to heat or flying into the wall, 2 weeks ago.

Also lost my rooster, poor Dr. Ruckus, to a fisher the night before last. Left the carcass in a trap last night, something came back, but I didn't catch it.

I was going to put my 3 broodies on some eggs, but had Ruckus in time out for balding my too many hens (he was in my quarantine pen when attacked by the fisher). Now I've got no rooster, no fertilized eggs and a fisher who just found the chicken buffet.

Now I'll be happy just to keep my remaining hens safe through the rest of the summer!

Hope summer is going well for everyone, been busy here!
Lost one hen mysteriously, either due to heat or flying into the wall, 2 weeks ago.
Also lost my rooster, poor Dr. Ruckus, to a fisher the night before last. Left the carcass in a trap last night, something came back, but I didn't catch it.
I was going to put my 3 broodies on some eggs, but had Ruckus in time out for balding my too many hens (he was in my quarantine pen when attacked by the fisher). Now I've got no rooster, no fertilized eggs and a fisher who just found the chicken buffet.
Now I'll be happy just to keep my remaining hens safe through the rest of the summer!
So sorry to hear that you are having troubles. I lost two hens one right before June with an egg prolapse (was a Gold Comet and laid monster eggs unfortunately :( ) and a second one towards the end of June due to the heat. I think I am going to be keeping a bunch of the girl babies that I hatched out this year. Hopefully they will lay well. I have one Cochin hen that is always broody but doesn't seem to ever hatch anything and one more that wants to hatch all the eggs and teach the babies to be wild children lol.

Hope everything starts to get better for you and your girls soon.

Hi I just joined the forum and wanted to give a shout out to fellow Vermont chicken folk. I also wanted to get any ideas you have on coop building in Vermont. Between the predators and the cold I am gathering all the tip and feedback i can get being as
I am a new chikky mommy. I am planning to build a 12 by 10 feet, to house up to 40 birds, right now have about 30.
I will also be dusting and treating my flock for mites this weekend so any tips on that would be great as well. The hardest part is figuring out how to catch each one but I think I will get them in the morning as they come out of the portable summer coop to get water.
Sorry to hear about some of your birds not doing well in the heat.

Hi I just joined the forum and wanted to give a shout out to fellow Vermont chicken folk. I also wanted to get any ideas you have on coop building in Vermont. Between the predators and the cold I am gathering all the tip and feedback i can get being as
I am a new chikky mommy. I am planning to build a 12 by 10 feet, to house up to 40 birds, right now have about 30.
I will also be dusting and treating my flock for mites this weekend so any tips on that would be great as well. The hardest part is figuring out how to catch each one but I think I will get them in the morning as they come out of the portable summer coop to get water.
Sorry to hear about some of your birds not doing well in the heat.
That many birds and you will not have to worry about heat or insulation. In fact you will be more worried about having good ventilation so there is no build up of ammonia. Just make sure you have water heaters to keep it thawed. Always use hardware cloth and not chicken wire. Any predator can get through chicken wire. As for Dusting I dust at night when they are roosting and, be sure to put dust on the roosts too.

I've never heard of dusting before! Thanks for the heads up!

This is my first year too - our coop is a fortress, but my chickens are free-ranging, so I've lost 2 over the course of the summer while I was at work. And now they've started roosting in trees and I lost 2 last nigh :( They are going in lockdown tonight, for a few days, to remind them that the coop is home.

Hi Neighbors!

I have a breeding trio of BBS Marans for sale, 13 months. For sale.

I also have an extra Blue Wheaten Ameraucana rooster that needs his own girls.

I am just over the border in NH. Contact me if interested please.

Happy Fall!

Back
Top Bottom