Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

Pics
Not the case in this crack. Brand new bucket. Kept in the shade without exception.
Could a be flaw in the bucket?
Standard HDPE #2 material?
Could be you screwed it in to far?
....or rough hole drilling a weakness?

Just some thoughts....can you post a pic of said crack with HN installed?

So I went ahead and used the 11/32 bit in the two 5 gallon buckets I am using. The HN were a little snug going in by all 8 installed when in perfectly and are not leaking. It has been three days so far.

I really think the 3/8 would work fine though. I have two more HNs that I am going to put in a 3 gallon bucket. Maybe I'll give the 38 a try there.

So I went ahead and used the 11/32 bit in the two 5 gallon buckets I am using. The HN were a little snug going in by all 8 installed when in perfectly and are not leaking. It has been three days so far.

I really think the 3/8 would work fine though. I have two more HNs that I am going to put in a 3 gallon bucket. Maybe I'll give the 38 a try there.
Yes, I'd use a 3/8 bit...you might risk the bucket cracking by having to force the HN into that small of a hole, if not right away, down the road.

Quote: It depends on how sensitive you are to how an NPT thread actually works.

If you use a smaller hole, you don't thread it in as far....and it gives you the option of drilling larger later if needed.

11/32 is only .035 of an inch smaller in diameter than 3/8, so not that big of a difference.

Here's the auto rabbit waterer I made recently.. I'll be posting my chicken, except instead of using tubing I'll use 1in PVC
welcome-byc.gif
Great video. I'll be interested in the chicken one.

It depends on how sensitive you are to how an NPT thread actually works.

If you use a smaller hole, you don't thread it in as far....and it gives you the option of drilling larger later if needed.

11/32 is only .035 of an inch smaller in diameter than 3/8, so not that big of a difference.

Okay, I've got all my stuff in and I hope I don't screw it up. I have the 11/32 drill bit. I have 5 small pens that I need this for. Wish me luck.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom