Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

Pics
The picture above is the one I'm talking about it's the link to amazon.It looks like it's in a protective covering?
That looks pretty safe, the heating element is kept from touching the vessel...
...BUT...follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Funny. You are all worried about the nipples freezing. I live in Sacramento where we are in the mid 90's pretty much every day from June through September. We had 18 days over 100 this year.

So, for me, the bigger question is whether horizontal nipples can deliver enough water for the hens during periods of extreme heat.

Funny. You are all worried about the nipples freezing. I live in Sacramento where we are in the mid 90's pretty much every day from June through September. We had 18 days over 100 this year.

So, for me, the bigger question is whether horizontal nipples can deliver enough water for the hens during periods of extreme heat.
I've never read much about that being a problem and have been concerned about it myself during our heat waves.
Granted our heat waves are usually short lived and I usually put out shallow pans of ice water in the late afternoon anyway, they drink and wade in them.

...but...it can be difficult to train birds to the nipples, especially birds who are used to an open waterer.
Some of them just don't get it quickly. I did find tho that once they are used to it, they consumed the same amount of water from the nipples as from the open waterer.
I am able to determine this by measuring their consumption all the time with marks on all waterers and daily observation.

If you want to switch to a nipple waterer, I always suggest doing it during the most temperate part of the year.....
.....when it's neither screaming hot nor freezing cold as that's when dehydration can happen most quickly and be the most detrimental to health and production.
Monitoring water consumption before the switch and after can help assess the process.

Hope that helps.

Great answer aart. Our hot days are generally July-August and I just stock my freezer with large yogurt containers full of frozen water. Every afternoon I refill the buckets with cold well water and throw in a gigantic ice cube.

I'm surprised that an aquarium heater would hold up for long in winter as they're not designed for outdoor use.
I used that same heater last winter and temperatures reached as much as 10 - 15 below 0. If it got too cold, the nipples might still freeze up a bit, but the heaters did their job, though the water never did get up to the set temperature. I liked the light that is in them so that I could know that it was still working.

I'm surprised that an aquarium heater would hold up for long in winter as they're not designed for outdoor use.
The first one($10) I bought failed at about 10F, then I bought a better on(I think the same one Leah used) and it was fine ...we got down to -10F several nights along with subfreezing for day at a time. I did use insulation on bottom and side of vessel tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfreedlund

I used that same heater last winter and temperatures reached as much as 10 - 15 below 0. If it got too cold, the nipples might still freeze up a bit, but the heaters did their job, though the water never did get up to the set temperature. I liked the light that is in them so that I could know that it was still working.
I like the heater light too.... and I also put an indicator light in the thermoplug so I could tell when it was on or off.

Back
Top Bottom