very accurate temp and humidity/light/vent controller.

seismic wonder2

I got mad ninja skills
12 Years
Feb 3, 2007
san diego ca
Hey all!
You may or may not know I'm sort of an electronics geek. (hard to believe but true)....anyway,,,
While I was screwing around with programming a microcontroller, working on my second whiskey, I got a flash. Why not design a microprocessor based incubator controller?
I have access to sensors with temp sensing within +/- 2 deg C and +/- 3% humidity and I'm working on the programing code now...
I think the controller should be able to switch on and off a 115VAC a 60W bulb, a small computer type fan, and open/close small vents to control humidity.
(I have no ideas on a turner yet...thats a mechanical thing)
Way more accurate than using an analog water heater thermostat.
Overkill???? You tell me.

After I get a design prototyped and tested, would anyone be interested in building a bator with my "Magic Box" to help with testing?

I was doing some calculations this morning and I figured out this project won't be cheap.
My best guestimations:
microprocessor---$40.00
temp. humidity sensor--$20.00
relay for the light---$10.00
servos or actuators for vents--$6.00 (each)
misc electronics for temp and humidity display--$10.00
9V power adaptor--$5.00

as it stands I'm looking at around $100.00 (give or take a few clucks) to build this project.

I can order a bator off the net for a few dollors more.

Other than the "cool" factor there is no real reason to build more than one unless I can find cheaper parts.
I feel so de-flated.
hmm.png

EGGONIMIST
That is cool but it is still basicaly a thermostat.
I'm talking about a computor controlled constantly monitored temperature and humitity controller, with LED display of temp and push button display of humidity.

When the temp falls to the predetermined set, the processor sends a signal to light the light, close the vents, and turn on the fan.

when humidity is too low the vents close. too high, they open.

temp too high, the light turns off, fan stays on.

when the temp is just right the fan turns off.

19 days(or what ever it is) after starting the incubation period, it will start adjusting the humidity and temp to get ready for the hatch.

All this will be controlled and monitored by a connection to your computer. Since it is it's own computer you'll only have to connect occasionally to check up on it.

Or maybe even setup an automatic upload to a website so you can monitor it at work etc....

There are LOTS of possibilities with these little microprocessors even if they do cost more than a thermostat.

Other than opening and closing vents - the electronics on a new model Sportsman incubator work like that complete with LED display.

Thats why I think I'm re-inventing the wheel.

It's already out there and mass produced.
At best I could only do one or two at a time and it would be expensive.
I think other than just an educational benefit to myself, this project is grounded.

sad.png

Give me a break. I came up with the idea after my second whisky.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom