Very aggressive silkie hen/What to do?

Aggressive birds need to be culled no matter what sex they are. Usually the aggression you describe is from a young rooster testing things. You could be correct in that her hormones are out of whack due to a tumor or infection. Occasionally a dominant hen will get feisty but learns quickly when corrected. These kind of decisions are not easy.
Is there anything you advise I should do? I am decided this: I will let her live for 2 weeks to try to correct herself. During those 2 weeks, at least every day I will hold her down and her head down and use a finger to peck at her like roosters do.

She just doesn't seem to get the idea of the pecking order, her behavior clearly makes it seem like she wants to be the boss of me

Is there anything you advise I should do? I am decided this: I will let her live for 2 weeks to try to correct herself. During those 2 weeks, at least every day I will hold her down and her head down and use a finger to peck at her like roosters do.

She just doesn't seem to get the idea of the pecking order, her behavior clearly makes it seem like she wants to be the boss of me
IQ Bird Testing can do a DNA to determine the sex. Though no matter what sex, aggression should not be tolerated. Some roosters ( or hens) just can't learn to behave. You can try pinless peepers and see if they curb unwanted behavior.

Sounds like she is just an aggressive bird to me.
IQ Bird Testing can do a DNA to determine the sex. Though no matter what sex, aggression should not be tolerated. Some roosters ( or hens) just can't learn to behave. You can try pinless peepers and see if they curb unwanted behavior.
yeah I think some are just born more ornery than others

Before you start asking how she might be a rooster, news flash, she ain't. I seen her lay eggs.

In your last comment you state that she hasn't laid an egg. Please understand that I am definitely not trying to nitpick your thread. I came to ask for an update and noticed the conflicting information so I figured I'd ask 🤷🏻‍♀️ I can understand that maybe you didn't want the typical "are you sure it's not a cockerel" so I'm thinking that's what is the culprit, which is totally understandable.

So any news on this Silkie? I have an aggressive hen too but she's nothing like that. Your bird sounds pretty horrible and I'm so sorry. My Silkie hens are sweet like your other ones. I do have a jerk Silkie rooster but I also have another sweetheart Silkie rooster. I don't read much about aggressive hens at all, but I have one. Culling isn't an option with my Serama because I worry about her hurting herself more than anything. I hope you've had some luck or your mean Silkie is beginning to behave herself đź’ś

Before you start asking how she might be a rooster, news flash, she ain't. I seen her lay eggs.

FYI It should be noted that this hen has never actually laid an egg, although she should be close sometime soon in about a month or so. Is it possible she is a hermaphrodite?
My apologies. I finally got both quotes. Again, I'm not nitpicking or anything like that, I promise. Just cruising around BYC and I posted about my usually sweetheart Silkie hen and her Dutch Bantams attacking my Serama, so your thread popped up and I was interested. My aggressive Serama isn't anything like this and my Silkie is usually a sweetheart. Either way, I'm just looking for information and was hoping you had an update đź’ś

Last edited:
My apologies. I finally got both quotes. Again, I'm not nitpicking or anything like that, I promise. Just cruising around BYC and I posted about my usually sweetheart Silkie hen and her Dutch Bantams attacked my Serama, so your thread popped up and I was interested. My aggressive Serama isn't anything like this and my Silkie is usually a sweetheart. Either way, I'm just looking for information and was hoping you had an update đź’ś
I slaughtered her about 2-ish weeks ago because she was so aggressive. I didnt find anything weird about her body, in the end I truly could not find anything wrong with her : (

I slaughtered her about 2-ish weeks ago because she was so aggressive. I didnt find anything weird about her body, in the end I truly could not find anything wrong with her : (
I'm so sorry. Being a breed with a vaulted skull increases their risks for brain injuries, which could have caused it if you found nothing else wrong. Either way, I hate that for you đź’ś

Back
Top Bottom