Very bad wound on hen!!! UPDATED with photo!! **warning graphic***

Do you feel that this is an injury with an abscess, or could it be a tumor? Tumors can be common anywhere on the body. I would clean it off well with betadine or chlorhexadene. Vetericyn wound spray would also work. Neosporin should be applied twice a day. Sorry, but it looked like a vent in the picture without a location given.

Thats ok I didn't get that great of a photo.. I am not sure what happened as she is new and I am just assuming the rooster injured her and it went unnoticed and then maybe was picked at by the other females?

Do flush away infection and dead tissue with normal saline (1/2 tsp salt to 1 c water is the concentration). The antibiotic ointment is good as well. Isolate her so she can heal. Good food and water. If you have antibiotics you can put some in her water, but feed yogurt to help recolonize her GI tract. You would be surprised at how well they can heal. IT will be slow and start from below and the sides and work its way up and in. The antibiotic ointment will keep it moist so that a crust doesn't form and hinder the granulation tissue. I had a girl attacked by a cat and I didn't even know it until I found a dried flap of skin with feathers stuck to it sticking out of her feathers. She had healed entirely on her own. Chickens are tough.
Cut your rooster's toenails and spurs. If he is wearing out the girl's backs, maybe he needs a little vacation in a place all his own.

Do flush away infection and dead tissue with normal saline (1/2 tsp salt to 1 c water is the concentration). The antibiotic ointment is good as well. Isolate her so she can heal. Good food and water. If you have antibiotics you can put some in her water, but feed yogurt to help recolonize her GI tract. You would be surprised at how well they can heal. IT will be slow and start from below and the sides and work its way up and in. The antibiotic ointment will keep it moist so that a crust doesn't form and hinder the granulation tissue. I had a girl attacked by a cat and I didn't even know it until I found a dried flap of skin with feathers stuck to it sticking out of her feathers. She had healed entirely on her own. Chickens are tough.
Cut your rooster's toenails and spurs. If he is wearing out the girl's backs, maybe he needs a little vacation in a place all his own.
Thank you .. She is in my laundry room.. on the yogurt does it matter that it is strawberry flavored?
Roo Roo .. is going to take a vacation because he is terrorizing 2 other hens as well .. luckily I have a spot for him.

Probios is a good brand of probiotics that can be added to the water, and many feed stores carry it. Yogurt and other dairy products can cause diarrhea since chickens don't digest dairy well, lacking the enzymes. A one time amount of the strawberry yogurt won't hurt, but the large amount of sugar adds to diarrhea. I just wouldn't use it more than once or twice. Many poultry vitamins now also contain probiotics. Nutrina has also started adding probiotics to some of their feeds. Probiotics are necessary if antibiotics are use to replace the beneficial bacteria in the gut. Feed stores have some antibiotics that may help wounds, such as procaine penicillin G injectable, Gallimycin, and some of the tetracycline drugs for the water. If choosing to give penicillin, get 4 small syringes (3 cc) and 4 needles (20 gauge) to administer the shots. Dosage is 1/4 ml/cc given 1/4 inch into the breast muscle once daily for 4 days. If you are friends with your vet they can prescribe better ones such as Clavamox or Baytril.

I wanted to thank everyone.. So far so good.. She is still in my laundry room.. But seems to be responding well. I have a new question .. If she makes it .. how in the world to I integrate her back into flock.. I take her outside to peck and scratch around everyday... Well my rooster got out and just attacked her ..mating her and and the hens tried to get to the wound.. now when we go out she never leaves my side ans seems to have started trying to groom me.. is that weird?

Back
Top Bottom