Very beginning of bumblefoot

duckduckgoose13

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
Hello! So I’m on here because I think one of my ducks has the very beginning of bumblefoot. I try to check my girls feet once a week but they absolutely hate their feet touched and I haven’t found a way to really grab them and check because they are so large but they do stretch their foot behind them and that’s when I check and one of them had what looked like the very beginning of bumblefoot. After seeing that I tried to grab her foot to check and she wouldn’t let me but what do I do? I don’t want it to get worse. It looks like a tiny little bulge with a tiny tiny black center....who knows it could have been dirt and I’m just paranoid. But I have epsom salt, therycyn, iodine, gauze, etc. all on hand already just in case this happened. My question is, can I just soak her (she’s going to hate it) in epsom salt then spray it with therycyn before putting her to bed?

soaking and cleaning is the start anyway, no harm in getting on that right away, most beneficial, get yourself ordered some duck booties, and or learn to wrap securely with vet wrap, I get mine for horses and cut it into quarters, gives me about 1' wide rolls which work perfectly. epsom salt soak, clean, spray, triple antibiotic and it should soften up so you can pick the scab off and hopefully with it the bumble. I have had some rather more advanced cases that have been plaguing me.
as for handling the duck, grab it face to face, as in it facing you and pin its wings down to its side, then tuck the whole duck under your arm with its head facing under your arm and behind you, do this under your non dominant arm, this will leave the duck at a disadvantage and you at a full advantage to manipulate the feet as you need. they don't like it, but they are ducks, so they don't get a choice.

soaking and cleaning is the start anyway, no harm in getting on that right away, most beneficial, get yourself ordered some duck booties, and or learn to wrap securely with vet wrap, I get mine for horses and cut it into quarters, gives me about 1' wide rolls which work perfectly. epsom salt soak, clean, spray, triple antibiotic and it should soften up so you can pick the scab off and hopefully with it the bumble. I have had some rather more advanced cases that have been plaguing me.
as for handling the duck, grab it face to face, as in it facing you and pin its wings down to its side, then tuck the whole duck under your arm with its head facing under your arm and behind you, do this under your non dominant arm, this will leave the duck at a disadvantage and you at a full advantage to manipulate the feet as you need. they don't like it, but they are ducks, so they don't get a choice.
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate this! I just wanna get it before it gets really bad because I’ve been worried about bumblefoot since I got the ducks. I basically baby proofed their pen and when I let them free range they are in green grass so I’m not sure what they’d cut their foot on and as far as cleaning, I clean their pen twice a day and clean their pool everyday. The only thing I can think of is the shavings in their house? I thought they were pretty soft but who knows. Should I switch to straw maybe?

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate this! I just wanna get it before it gets really bad because I’ve been worried about bumblefoot since I got the ducks. I basically baby proofed their pen and when I let them free range they are in green grass so I’m not sure what they’d cut their foot on and as far as cleaning, I clean their pen twice a day and clean their pool everyday. The only thing I can think of is the shavings in their house? I thought they were pretty soft but who knows. Should I switch to straw maybe?
if there is something, they will find it, you run around barefoot all day and eventually you will get a crack, a cut, a split whatever. as for shavings, I really like pine shavings, I tried straw and it was a soggy nasty mess, if I had to walk on shavings or straw, I would choose the shavings myself. they are a natural odor control, and very absorbent. I try to get a finer shaving as opposed to large flake which is probably better suited to large livestock.

if there is something, they will find it, you run around barefoot all day and eventually you will get a crack, a cut, a split whatever. as for shavings, I really like pine shavings, I tried straw and it was a soggy nasty mess, if I had to walk on shavings or straw, I would choose the shavings myself. they are a natural odor control, and very absorbent. I try to get a finer shaving as opposed to large flake which is probably better suited to large livestock.
Okay awesome! Yeah I get the triple screen which is like a mixture but maybe I’ll go get the smaller flakes! Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom