very bloody crest

sixty7x

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 12, 2010
Warwick RI
Came home to a bloody coop today. Upon further inspection one of the girls has part of her crest missing. Looks like we got the bleeding to stop for now. We used styptic powder. I realize blood looks like it's worse than it is, but this was our first emergency and it freaked us out a bit. I don't think she lost more than a teaspoon. I can only guess that one of the other hens decided to peck her. Is there anything maybe I should look for? All 3 hens seem to be getting along really well. All seem to be very healthy. I'm probably just being overly concerned about something that happens all the time. Thanks in advance for any help or information.

she needs to be separted from the others until she heals, they will continue picking at her wounds, keep her wound clean, she should do fine

if you can figure out who has done this, it might be a good idea to separate the aggressor that way you are shaking up the pecking order, she can't be left with them with an open wound, do you have Bluekote it will aid in healing and also disguise the wound, but this will continue to happen till you stop the one who started it.

thanks for the help. I'm unsure how to separate. It's cold here and I was under the assumption that it would be tough for hen to stay warm alone. Finding the aggressive one for me is going to be tough. They all get along when I'm around. I watch them as much as possible. Guess I'll just have to keep looking. Or maybe pull one of the other two for a week then re-introduce. Then try the only other hen the same way?

came home from work and she looks fine. I didn't separate her(yet). I'm hoping that it was an isolated incident.

Back
Top Bottom