Very dissapointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought eggs from Jean in early January, against my better judgement. The eggs were coming from Washington State to Florida during the bitter bitter weather. They arrived in great shape, most were porous. They were difficult to candle, so I just left them in the bator since I really couldnt tell if they were developing or not. Amazingly, after that journey, during the worst of the weather, I have 7 gorgeous chicks in my brooder right now.

I have hatched a lot of porous eggs, and have found no correlation in hatching from porous vs. non-porous eggs. I am very confident that if Jean had set those eggs in her incubator instead of sending them to you, they would have developed and hatched. You can blame shipping for your woes, not the eggs.

Sidestepping the ranting...

I wanted to say I have gotten two sets of eggs shipped to me from Texas from the same breeder. One in Jan., one in early Feb. The viability rate has been amazing - every egg in each batch has developed despite them being shipped to Colorado.

The seller ships only via Fed Ex. home delivery, and I have to wonder if that accounts for the astonishingly good results. Maybe they handle the packages easier than USPS...

Quote:
With or without a name I think most people would have felt they had been slighted. Maybe that was not your intent, but the breeder felt they had been insulted. ESPECIALLY since they offered to make it right.

As far as the location where it came from being cold it does not matter where the eggs got subjected to cold or rough treatment. It was cold here in NC and VERY unusually cold. Both my sets came from the different places too, but both were ruined. I did not blame or even suggest to the breeder that it was their fault. In fact I apologized because I could not post a successful hatch rate which is important to their reputation. One breeder has offered to send replacement eggs even though I did not ask, or expect it. But it is to his benefit as then I can post a successful hatch, which is what I look for in accessing a breeder.

As posted by several customers the breeders reputation has already been established with successful hatches. And even though you vented it appears you are still going to have a successful hatch. I would be very surprised though if the breeder NOW would come through like my breeder did. Be careful when you vent not to step on your own toes.

Added note if I got 50% this time of year I would be very very happy...

Last edited:
Clay In Iowa wrote:

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it... Does it make a sound?

If you vent about someone and no one knows who it is ... is any harm done?

I hate to say, but that sounds very immature and very rude to say. Just because you didn't mention her name, doesnt mean you need to trash talk about her...Its called KARMA!...

I think you just need to take a breath and relax...
She did offer to help out since they didn't develop, you cant say that she didnt try...

There are always risks. You just need to accept the fact that that's how life works. You have no place to totally blame the breeder. I mean, seriously, look at the structure of an egg. Look how far it was shipped, and the temp outside. There are all these factors to add in, yet you blame the breeder, and the porous eggs only. Anything can happen between the breeder's hands, and yours. Shipping isn't exactly natural route for an egg.​

Let's boil it down to this. I could accept, frozen eggs, broken eggs, low viability for all the eggs as a shipping problem. And would not have expected the breeder to fix it. It's the risk you take.

However, as stated by others who successfully hatch porous eggs, when 8 of 8 porous eggs fail and 7 of 7 non porous eggs are developing normally it's not a shipping problem.

I will be happy with 50%. A 50% hatch anytime of year on shipped eggs is pretty good. Out of 15 eggs if I got 6 I'd consider it very good and would never expect a breeder to "make it right". The postal monkeys can be rough on eggs.

I was just looking for answers and got nothing. I wasn't accusing the breeder of anything in my PMs. When I got no answers and no attempt to explain other than it was rough handling which doesn't make sense in this case. I got peeved and posted here, without Identifying the breeder. Even if the breeder felt slighted it was her choice to out herself. I felt I was being blown off and not worthy of being dealt with. She could have PM'd me to let me know she was slighted. It could have all be taken care of with out a single person knowing who she was.

Quote:
I think you all need to turn the volume down in your heads when you read this. It's way too easy to put your own spin on my words.

Again I'm not angry, I''m not losing sleep and I have zero hard feeling toward Jean. I just wanted an answer that made sense.

Quote:
I think you all need to turn the volume down in your heads when you read this. It's way too easy to put your own spin on my words.

Again I'm not angry, I''m not losing sleep and I have zero hard feeling toward Jean. I just wanted an answer that made sense.

All answers given of "why" made sense, sometimes its just not one factor that applies.

Yet again, going by what everyone else keeps mentioning. It's possible porous eggs are more delacate than "normal" eggs.
P&P did offer to help out since they weren't good.
But you got upset, instead of dealing with it in a nice way. Ill admit, I, like anyone else, would have been pretty frustrated, but not the the point of dealing with it like I'm 3 years old.

Going by what I've seen with this board, this is no place for venting about a breeder and how bad YOU THINK they are. No matter how frustrated you are about the matter. I've gotten such a great view of the people on here - most everyone here are all very kind and considerate, and no matter how stupid you sound, are always willing to offer their opinion and help (in a nice manner).
She has a good rep., and people have spoken for her. I dont think it was her that was the problem here.

Why are you still going on about this? You said it yourself, you haven't gotten any answers (that you see suitable, that is) from the people on here, so why not look it up? You have a world full of resources - internet, books, other people, ect.

It's sad to see a post on this site like this. So much argument for no reason!

I have no place asking, but can you please try to fix your problem and not let this post get any more out of hand than it already is?

EDIT: Tuffoldhen - You basically summed up my whole post in one sentence
smile.png
there have been many reason "Why"...That all made plenty of sence...

Last edited:
If you read carefully others have made my case for me. Shipping does not explain the problem.

Several have noted that eggs sent in winter hatch fine. Several have said porous eggs hatch fine.

Again there is a clear delineation here. All the porous eggs are dudes. .... All the non porous eggs are developing normally. Even more so now than before, shipping does not explain the problem.

I never expected Jean to fix this. Shipped eggs are a risk. I just wanted an answer that might have made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom