Very dissapointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, please take this arguement off-board!
We were talking about pourous eggs.... shall we continue...
Christina

I am in complete agreement with Jean. We don't need buyers like this. I know from experience that she is completly above board(As all BYCers should be) in her dealings.

OK I DID NOT out the seller and wouldn't have done so even in private discussions. I did my research and thought the seller was very reputable and still do. I was frustrated that more than half the eggs were extremely porous and none of those developing. Everyone has a bad day and everyone has a batch batch of eggs. I was simply venting some frustration about an unfortunate situation, not bashing anyone by name.

I did say the air cells were ALL broken. That doesn't explain the disparity between the porous eggs and non porous eggs in my incubator. When it's so plainly black and white.

Quote:
Clay, what if you are BOTH partly right. What if porous eggs CAN TOO hatch at reasonable rates; and what if they ARE (maybe, I don't actually know) more vulnerable than perfect-shelled ones if other shaking/damage/etc takes place.

It doesn't have to be one side completely right other side completely wrong. To paraphrase your initial post, the customer shouldn't treat the *breeder* like an idiot either
wink.png

Pat

Last edited:
Whoa! Did not know who was involved in the great egg dispute.

Just an FYI, I got 14 eggs from Jean (pips&peeps) in freezing cold January, sent across the country, and I have 10 looking great and getting ready to hatch . . . unless I screw up the final few days. The other 4 had damaged air cells, probably from shipping. Only one egg is slightly porous, and that is one of the good ones getting ready to hatch.

Just FYI.

I feel great about Jean's eggs, and with all her help and good advice, and when I have room I will be asking her for more. Getting eggs shipped in Jan-Feb is always a toss of the dice. I know it can be frustrating losing eggs, and I have had very different results with shipped eggs from different locations . . . and very obviously different handling from different postal areas.

Sorry this happened, Clay! Maybe you should try another order?
hmm.png

Quote:
Apparently everyone thinks I'm screaming mad about this.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm just a bit frustrated and a bit confused by the explanation offered. I have no ill feeling toward Jean and I still think this may have just been a bad batch of eggs or as Pat put it maybe a combination of susceptibility the porous eggs and shipping.

I had no intention of making her ID public.

Quote:
I have to agree I think most of the problems we are experiencing is from the time of year. I was having great hatches until it turned super cold. Things sometimes just happens. You take the same chances ordering live chicks, though I think the odds are a little better do to the fact the postal employees can hear the chicks cheeping.

I am considering ordering a trio from NY and I am hesitant do to the weather. If I can get the shipper to hang on to the birds until a short warm spell than I will go ahead with the purchase. I think I am done ordering hatching eggs until March.

My suspicion is that the porous eggs are more vulnerable to being impacted from rough handling by the PO. I totally agree that the fact that ALL of the undeveloping eggs are porous and that NO porous eggs are developing would be too much of a coincidence to assume that porousity has nothing to do with it. However, I would have to say that as so many here have hatched out porous eggs that the porosity itself is not the issue. Hence, something must have happened en-route that impacted the porous eggs but the other eggs were able to withstand.

Personal differences and breeder versus customer issues aside, it is an interesting question.

Quote:
Clay the tone in your first post was accusatory, insulting and very nasty. I was thinking when I read it... "boy am I glad he did NOT get eggs from me" and "I wonder how many people will think he did?"

Even though this is a big place in some ways it is like a small town... You don't have to "out" someone to slam them and when you say things like they have an 'undeserved good reputation' and don't name them you open everyone up to suspicion.

I have had occasional porus eggs and have hatched them fine... don't know why yours are clears... but so what... half your eggs are developing and that is not bad for shippeds and you know it!

Melissa

It is an interesting question. I'd love to figure it out. It was just too coincidental to be explained by rough handling. I didn't feel i got an adequate explanation and was feeling blown off as some newb who couldn't candle. As for cold temps. The day they came in it was much much colder to the East and I have 11 of 12 eggs developing from Peachicks, non are porous. They arrived the same day.

For the record I don't feel one sub par batch of eggs warrants a public flogging of a breeder who has worked to build a good rep.

I feel horrible that the breeder gave her name. I was more just venting and tying to find answers than anything. No one would ever have known who the breeder was. I didn't PM anyone and give her name. In fact I only PM'd one person who i chat with very regularly (every day) and I don't think I ID'd the breeder to her. That's why I didn't give her name in the original post. I'm sure all bridges are burned with her and for that I'm very sorry.

I never intended hard feeling.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it... Does it make a sound?

If you vent about someone and no one knows who it is ... is any harm done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom