Very Early Pip, Questions!

Kedreeva

Longfeather Lane
13 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Michigan
So I set a bunch of duck eggs that were set to hatch the 4th of July. Last night (the 1st) I went to put them on lockdown and one of them has already pipped (it pipped in the auto turner). I quickly finished my business in the incubator (moving all the eggs and soaking the paper towels I put in for humidity) but now I am wondering- did it perhaps just happen to just pip early while not yet developed? Does the 'help after 48 hours of being pipped and not doing anything' apply to an egg that's pipped 3-4 days early? Obviously it's at risk of the membrane causing issues once pipped, but I feel like developing all the way first is also pretty important.

These are Pekin duck eggs, they are in a still air hovabator with the temp ~100 at the warmest spot. When I candled, they completely filled the egg. This one had pipped externally and one other had pipped internally when I pulled them off the turner. Due to the chicken eggs they'd been hatching with, the humidity was non-ideal for either hatch, around 60% (I picked middle ground between 40% and 80% and let the humidity drop when I cooled the eggs to candle and spayed the duck eggs daily for extra moisture). The chickens were fine with this when they hatched; 5/6 hatched (one died early, one died a few days after hatching).

Two of the four pekin eggs are chirping and 3/4 are rocking (the fourth may be a muscovy mix, my friend had no idea if it would take a little longer, so I'm not worried yet). Since they are making noise equivalent to noise they were making yesterday (no weakening in the chirps or movement) I am not terribly inclined to help. But the question is do I start help 48 hours after pip no matter when they are supposed to hatch, or do I start it 48 hours after they should have pipped (hatch day) to account for development?

I don't specifically know what to tell you -- hardly an expert by any means. But, a couple of observations over the years -- 1) ducks just seem to take forever compared to other things I've hatched (chickens, turkeys, pheasants, and quail). The Rouens I just hatched last month took a minimum of 48 hours from external pip to hatch; and 2) overall, "helping" hasn't worked out so well for me -- I have found it's best to resist the temptation to help unless its clearly a situation of major distress and a problem which is identifiable, such as obviously shrinkwrapped.

Good luck, and I hope someone with more expertise will help you out.

Thank you for the heads up on ducks taking longer... the one's been sitting in there for 30+ hours not really doing much. Maybe it's the rounded beak that makes it harder? I will give it time on its own.

Namely the reason I'm worried is because this one pipped and I opened the incubator to spray and cool and move eggs for lockdown and didn't see the pip until I was nearly done with the routine (plus it pipped like 3 days early *facepalm*). I'm a little worried about having shrink wrapped it with the open top like that
hmm.png
But I think it's made a second little crack, and it wobbled when I shone the light on it, so maybe it's ok.

I actually had to help most of my last chicken hatch out, but I was aware that my humidity was higher through the incubation than was good for them (because of them being in with the ducks), so they had a hard time moving in the egg. With the ducks, I'm aware that humidity has been lower than ideal for them (because of them being in with the chickens), so I may have to help due to shrink wrapping.... Just a matter of when I should legitimately be concerned and when I'm just being paranoid lol

Quote:
I know this post is really old, but curious what happened with the early pipper?? I am in the same situation here on day 30 with my Muscovies and one early pipper which I didn't notice until I already had the incubator open for a minute or two checking the other eggs. It is still moving in there, and I think I heard peeping, but I am really nervous. This is my first hatch ever!!!!

Back
Top Bottom