Very happy with McMurray...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by calgal98, May 3, 2009.

1. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

When I've gotten so many horror stories about dying chicks, I was pleased that all of mine arrived well and earlier than hoped.

I called McMurray on Thursday to be sure chicks would be sent out and yes, they were scheduled and on schedule. I then called my local po and let them know I was expecting them. I told them I would be more than happy to pick them up at the hub if they came in early. I planned to be home all weekend in anticipation of their arrival. Can't plan these things too carefully as there are so many variables. I was sleeping soundly at 7 am this morning when the main po, an hour away, called to say the chicks had just arrived in and did I wish to pick them up? You bet. I was there within two hours (had to feed, milk and get there). Everyone was alert and healthy when I picked them up!

Its as much up to me to make sure my end of this is in order as it is McMurrays and the PO's. JMHO and sure there are those that will disagree.

2. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    I'm so glad you were diligent and got your babies early. I can't agree more, we have a certain responsibility also to these little creatures. I feel it is up to me to make sure they are safe from the moment I order them even if it means I'm inconvenienced a little bit on delivery day.

Good luck on your new chickies [​IMG]

3. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    all of our chicks arrived alive as well last year, though we lost one within two days, then a couple more within a couple weeks. also, we were kinda upset we thought we were getting Ameracaunas, but have since found out differently, we still adore our girls though. I am glad you are happy with your chicks, have fun!![​IMG]

4. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I had great luck with McMurray this year too. I ordered 41 chicks and got 43. I lost 2 due to pasty butts or just general lethargy, but the others are doing great.

5. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    That's another great example of McMurray and the post office working well together. It's wonderful to see that happen. Try picking up your chicks on a Thursday morning. That didn't go well.

6. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

New chicks survived the night and are doing well. No losses so far. Except for the month old cochin banty that a hawk killed THROUGH my brooder cage. I couldn't believe he could get to them. The wire is 1/2 by 1" or *baby saver* to those who know rabbit cages. He keeps coming back to see what more damage he can do. I'll show him damage...[​IMG]

7. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I am expecting my chicks on May 18 from Murray McMurray and have also read some of the terrible stories about the chicks not making the trip. Makes me so nervous and worried about mine. Should I call them too?

When you talk about the hub what is that, my post office is only 7 miles from where I live so picking them up from there right away won't be a problem. But a hub for my post office where would that be? And if it would be only and extra hour or two for the chicks to be brought to the post office I don't know how much of a difference that would make [an hour or two added to their trip time]. Thoughts please!

Thanks!

8. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I've ordered from MM for years now and not once have I had a problem.

9. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I had a great experience with MM this March. I bought the egg-n-meat combo package and was worried they would choose some non-desireable breeds for the hens, but that was not the case. I have two gorgeous blue andlusians, a golden comet, a buff orp, a black australorp, a feather-footed cochin, an EE, a RIR, and two more that I can't remember right now... LOL

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My babies came from My Pet Chicken last week and between the 2 shipments I got 7 of 7 and 14 of 15 all healthy, peeping chicks. The shipments left Connecticut on Mon, April 27 and arrived in Tacoma & Seattle, WA the morning of Tuesday, April 28.

Impeccable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by