Very ill chicken - dry flaking skin, feathers falling out, lethargic

Sorry, I hadn't followed this up - I had forgotten my login details since I had posted on a different machine.

She died a about a couple of weeks after posting this, She had seemed to be getting a lot better - her skin was clearing, she was still eating well, and she seemed happier on the whole. However where her skin had cleared it started to get red, swollen and "puffy", and then she started to exibit more classic Marek's symptoms of being unable stand. We were still hoping that she would pull through since she always had a healthy appetite, but one day she wouldn't wake up and died later that day. Horrible disease since as I said, we really thought she was getting better after the skin "scaling" had more or less vanished.

We're now keeping close eyes on our remaining two since they were from the same breeder and we had been told they had been immunised.

Sorry, I hadn't followed this up - I had forgotten my login details since I had posted on a different machine.

She died a about a couple of weeks after posting this, She had seemed to be getting a lot better - her skin was clearing, she was still eating well, and she seemed happier on the whole. However where her skin had cleared it started to get red, swollen and "puffy", and then she started to exibit more classic Marek's symptoms of being unable stand. We were still hoping that she would pull through since she always had a healthy appetite, but one day she wouldn't wake up and died later that day. Horrible disease since as I said, we really thought she was getting better after the skin "scaling" had more or less vanished.

We're now keeping close eyes on our remaining two since they were from the same breeder and we had been told they had been immunised.

I'm sorry for your loss... I'm so paranoid about Marecks.... I don't think mine were vaccinated...I'm glad you started this thread... It's so helpful for people like me who are first timers to read and see all the different symptoms of Mareks and other diseases. I'm sorry you had to go through losing her... Will you keep a closed flock if the others show no symptoms?

I know this is too late for your hen but perhaps may save a life in the future!
From what you said and the pictures, it sounds and looks like 'vent gleet' or something along the lines of that. Its a fungal problem similar to thrush but if left untreated will spread and eventually kill a hen.

I sadly have had 2 older hens with this, one passed away as had been sick prior to this and although the VG wasnt anyway near as bad as images I have seen, I believe this probably finished her off.
It was because of that hen, through researching, that I found out what it was, our local vet seemed to be clueless!

The second hen we found to have recently, so have just started treating it early! Will update down the line if she lives and is cured or not etc

Bathing in warm salty water is a good start, apparently leaving her for about 10minutes to soak as it also relaxes her! After drying, I have been recommended to apply Canestan (or similar thrush cream products) I say cream as sprays hurt too much and the cream can be left to soak overnight which is useful!

There is loads more info on this link which I have found to be useful, so perhaps may be good for you if needed:

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/information/vent-gleet/

Ps do not pick the flakes or feathers as this will cause discomfort and may further infect!!
VG can cause them to have faecal matter around or on the feathers directly near their bottom, so may help to trim those feathers down to keep the mess to a minimum.

I know this is too late for your hen but perhaps may save a life in the future!
From what you said and the pictures, it sounds and looks like 'vent gleet' or something along the lines of that. Its a fungal problem similar to thrush but if left untreated will spread and eventually kill a hen.

I sadly have had 2 older hens with this, one passed away as had been sick prior to this and although the VG wasnt anyway near as bad as images I have seen, I believe this probably finished her off.
It was because of that hen, through researching, that I found out what it was, our local vet seemed to be clueless!

The second hen we found to have recently, so have just started treating it early! Will update down the line if she lives and is cured or not etc

Bathing in warm salty water is a good start, apparently leaving her for about 10minutes to soak as it also relaxes her! After drying, I have been recommended to apply Canestan (or similar thrush cream products) I say cream as sprays hurt too much and the cream can be left to soak overnight which is useful!

There is loads more info on this link which I have found to be useful, so perhaps may be good for you if needed:

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/information/vent-gleet/

Thank you for posting I am having the same experience as the woman who posted originally. I went to the vet dewormed, spot on , and 3 days of fluid medicine. All not helping. Originally she had leg mites but I no longer see any signs of those, but white scaly skin on her head and consistently scratching her head and shaking it and messy bottom all the time, been feeding them joghurt in thier mesh but nothing is working... Bathed her twice already but it is cold and I have to keep her inside until as he is dry....Off to vet in the morning again!! But she didn't know exactly what it could be three weeks ago ... Very worried about my hen and the others...

My hen has the yellow tinged transparent skin on her head and I’ve been applying olive oil with a dropper, rubbing it in, eventually the you can peel the skin away without hurting her.,I’m not sure if it’s all over her body. She’s had a problem for sone weeks now, on here thought it was mareks, due to her blue eye and misshapen pupil. She looked terrible but was moulting simultaneously. I treated her for parasites, worms. Added tonic to her water. Brought new feed. Bought her into the home with her sister. She started eating normally but not laying. I also treated them for scaly leg mites, warm soaks, olive oil, Vaseline, ivermectin. For weeks. I thought the leg and head mite might be responsible. Then I found this fragile, dead skin over her scalp and am gradually peeling it away. I treated her with fungal cream early on. So as said, warm soak if she’ll tolerate it. Oil helps. Ivermectin. Keep her in for a bit with a companion? She’s become very tame and likes to hop on my shoulder. The legs are much better but I still oil them.

My hen has the yellow tinged transparent skin on her head and I’ve been applying olive oil with a dropper, rubbing it in, eventually the you can peel the skin away without hurting her.,I’m not sure if it’s all over her body. She’s had a problem for sone weeks now, on here thought it was mareks, due to her blue eye and misshapen pupil. She looked terrible but was moulting simultaneously. I treated her for parasites, worms. Added tonic to her water. Brought new feed. Bought her into the home with her sister. She started eating normally but not laying. I also treated them for scaly leg mites, warm soaks, olive oil, Vaseline, ivermectin. For weeks. I thought the leg and head mite might be responsible. Then I found this fragile, dead skin over her scalp and am gradually peeling it away. I treated her with fungal cream early on. So as said, warm soak if she’ll tolerate it. Oil helps. Ivermectin. Keep her in for a bit with a companion? She’s become very tame and likes to hop on my shoulder. The legs are much better but I still oil them.
I tried all of the things you have tried, she just kept showing signs that she was not well, she also seperated herself from the group and sometimes would just sit in a corner. Her eye started to swell and finally after two months, last Monday I had a friend relieve her from her suffering. I hope your chicken gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom