very injured duck in need of help

I'm not positive, but to me it looks like the skin edges are healed, so I think they would have to be trimmed, then sewn together, but that's just a guess.

-Kathy

Was very fidgety both when trying to get a photo and re bandaging. Again only got one photo over about 5 min of trying to get her to hold still long enough to focus and shoot. Oh and she's started trying to remove her bandage on her own, she works the end loose and then keeps tugging on it. She insisted on helping remove the bandage before her bath and kept trying to remove the new one as it was being put on. I think she has had enough of being injured and just wants to go back out with the others. Here's the photo i was able to get, I added a larger view of the hole since it was had to see the detail once the photo was shrunk to a decent size (starting resolution was about 3300 x 2500 so it had a lot of shrinking to do). That is definitely the inside and I cant find the edges at all. Starting to get the feeling that it won't heal without vet intervention.
This looks sooooooo good! Look at how much it has healed up!! Wow! For such a ginormous wound to heal like it has you have gone an amazing job!!!

after more scouring of the local vet listings i found a second that might treat pet birds, nothing saying either way on their site though. since both are already closed for the weekend i sent email inquries to both and will follow up with with calling each on monday morning. also sent one to the vet ive used for my cat and dog in the past on the off chance that they will at least look at her. havent needed them in several years so it doesnt hurt to ask.

with poultry keeping becoming more popular and the city here now allowing hens to be kept on residential zoned land, you would think more vets would say if they will work on them or not.

after more scouring of the local vet listings i found a second that might treat pet birds, nothing saying either way on their site though. since both are already closed for the weekend i sent email inquries to both and will follow up with with calling each on monday morning. also sent one to the vet ive used for my cat and dog in the past on the off chance that they will at least look at her. havent needed them in several years so it doesnt hurt to ask.

with poultry keeping becoming more popular and the city here now allowing hens to be kept on residential zoned land, you would think more vets would say if they will work on them or not.
And seems this would be a fairly easy job for someone who knows what they are doing. I hope you can locate a vet that is willing to give it a try for a reasonable price.

I still can't get over how good she is looking.

I know! When I needed a vet I could not find one!! I live close to UC davis and they work on chickens,but it would have been $200 to even make an "emergency" appointment. There was no way!! I have since found one that doesn't charge an arm and a leg, so they are out there!

got a reply from my usual vet, the other 2 i sent inquiries to dont open til tomorrow but thats not a problem cause i wouldnt be able to get her to a vet til tuedsay anyway. apparently they will look at her but even a normal appointment is $80 with any work dont costing even more. my last trip there was with my cat when he had a bladder stone or whatever it is (like a kidney stone but in the bladder) ended up being nearly $900 just to get him treated (disolve the stone and drain the bladder). had to beg my dad to help me pay for that, hes of the mind that if it costs more to treat the animal then it does to replace it then its not worth the cost of treatment (there are some exceptions but most pets fall into that category with him). its a good vet but expensive and way out of what i can afford right now (and they dont do payment plans, everything must be paid before you leave). also never seen them treating or even carrying anything in their mini store for anything other then cats and dogs.

got a reply from my usual vet, the other 2 i sent inquiries to dont open til tomorrow but thats not a problem cause i wouldnt be able to get her to a vet til tuedsay anyway. apparently they will look at her but even a normal appointment is $80 with any work dont costing even more. my last trip there was with my cat when he had a bladder stone or whatever it is (like a kidney stone but in the bladder) ended up being nearly $900 just to get him treated (disolve the stone and drain the bladder). had to beg my dad to help me pay for that, hes of the mind that if it costs more to treat the animal then it does to replace it then its not worth the cost of treatment (there are some exceptions but most pets fall into that category with him). its a good vet but expensive and way out of what i can afford right now (and they dont do payment plans, everything must be paid before you leave). also never seen them treating or even carrying anything in their mini store for anything other then cats and dogs.
I don't know if this would even work but http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2006/05/superglue.html
I very much understand what your saying, Vets have made it almost impossible for the common man or woman to have pets. If they ever need veterinary assistance.

would need a way to immobilize her without a helper to do that. if i have to fight her to get a bandage on or off just think how hard doing any work on it would be while shes conscious.

Back
Top Bottom