very irrisponsible, unlike me, now needs help please!

vickyharry

Hatching
9 Years
May 29, 2010
i am new to chicken keeping, although i had them with my family.
i recently took time to build my own chicken house, with run..careful to make everything perfect for them, fox proof, perches, weather proof, sizes etc....
have been looking for chickens, was going to get rescues, but then today i went into a nursery and bought 3 for £15.
here is were i have been irrisponcible, which is actually very unlike me.....
they are young, but i dont know how old, i have no idea of what sort/breed they are....and worse no idea what sex they are....i know i am an idiot so please dont hate me, i have beat myself up over such a stupid decision...... now i am looking for advice.

how can i try and answer the question of sex, breed and age?

thankyou in advance.

Last edited:
Nah, sounds like fun. Post pictures of each chicken and you will be amazed at all the chicken guru's who can help you answer all your questions. Have fun with your chickens. Sounds like you were prepared figuring out what they are is the fun part.

post some pictures I am sure someone here can help you was there a sign where you bought them maybe you could call them and see if they had any info, maybe where they bought them from then you can call or check out what the hatchery has and go from there. welcome to the chicken addiction.
plus I don't think you are being irresponsible we all by chickens in different ways.

Last edited:
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from PA, USA! Pictures will give you some answers!
thumbsup.gif

Aww thanks guys, i thought i was sure for an ear bashing!!!
i cant believe i was so daft, the shop just said, they were not sexed which was why they were cheep!

59008_chickens_020.jpg

59008_chickens_027.jpg

59008_chickens_019.jpg

sorry the photos are not great will get better ones tomorrow, i did not want to scare them too much today being that they have just moved in, i didnt think they needed the stress of a photo shoot!!!

ok, so from the other board, i have been told they look like mix breeds, will they still lay eggs and be healthy..i dont mind if they are not fancy, i just want 3 girls to be able to peck about in my garden, then go in there coop at night and lay eggs for me!!!

Oh, what a pretty threesome!

You aren't any more daft than many of us here on BYC. Trust me. Impulse chick purchases are the norm, I think.

I grumble at myself for buying two Silver Sebrights from the straight run (unsexed) bin - they're bantams and not sexed. Then I bought another a few weeks later, plus a Golden Sebright. So now I have four chicks I'm waiting to see how lucky or unlucky I got. All the other chickens I have were purchased as pullet chicks, and there was only one accidental rooster. I can't imagine I'll be that lucky with straight run chicks....

Oh, right, you wanted to know how old and what breed YOUR chicks are.... sorry.... I can't tell. I'm GUESSING maybe eight weeks old???? They kinda look like girls. No clue on the breeds - perhaps a Black Sex-Link, maybe a Delaware (white one), and possibly an Easter Egger, even though there aren't any fluffy cheeks on it. But they're gonna be nice looking!!!

Last edited:
Oh they are so pretty, and look like all pullets! Yippee! Not sure on the breeds but probably mixed maybe you could go back to who you bought them from and ask it they know their breed. Probably between 7 and 8 weeks old. Have fun with your girls!

welcome-byc.gif
from California

It's an addiction and we all know it, but we are enablers here, so beware!
ep.gif

I just want a couple of chickens for eggs.
lau.gif

Now I have to sneak boxes of hatching eggs past hubby
hide.gif

Matter of fact I'm looking for more right now!

You are in GREAT COMPANY!

SOunds like me i just ordered ten more feather footed bantams! Its an assortment. My DH doesn't know yet. but he will at the end of the week

Back
Top Bottom