Very noticeable wing bones on 3 week chick, is it normal?

Chimby the chick

Chirping
Dec 1, 2020
Hi, I just found and adopted a chick 3 weeks ago (and by the looks of it, it must be 3 weeks old). I'm a new member and new to caring for chicks so I wanted to make sure it is growing properly. I attached a picture of the little bones that are now very noticeable (the little white dots next to my finger). Let me know :)
Thank you.

IMG_20201202_133546.jpg

Completely normal. :)

Chicks are bony weird little creatures.. it's feathers will fill in and hide all that before too long... as long as nutrition is adequate and such.

Are you using a chick starter feed? Do you have other chickens that this one will be joining or were able to find a friend for it?
So I am feeding it "purina" which I believe is starter feed (for chicks to grow). At one point last week I tried mixing it with broken up corn but I think it was still too big for it. Today i mixed a little bit of broken up egg shell with the started feed (first time I ever do this). The other thing it has eaten is mashed potatoes with olive oil (only because it wasn't feeling well on Monday and was not eating anything at all. Now it's doing better so we are back to the starter feed.

Any recomendations?

So I am feeding it "purina" which I believe is starter feed (for chicks to grow). At one point last week I tried mixing it with broken up corn but I think it was still too big for it. Today i mixed a little bit of broken up egg shell with the started feed (first time I ever do this). The other thing it has eaten is mashed potatoes with olive oil (only because it wasn't feeling well on Monday and was not eating anything at all. Now it's doing better so we are back to the starter feed.

Any recomendations?
Are you feeding it chick grit? Chicks shouldn't eat anything except starter feed for the first eight weeks. If they eat anything else they need grit to adequately digest the food, especially if you have given them corn. They shouldn't eat egg shells at all until they start laying eggs. They don't need the extra calcium. Also keep in mind anything extra dilutes their nutritional intake, and they are at a critical stage for development.

Edit: I remember reading about your little chicky yesterday. I hope you're able to find a companion for it! Cute little guy (or girl) :)

Any recomendations?
Don't give the corn or eggs shell while still a chick.. the chick doesn't need the diminished nutrients and also doesn't like have the grit capacity to grind it and pass it.. blockage is deadly. Once in a while some scrambled egg (or boiled and smashed) is a great treat or pick me up. They are often very palatable, easy to digest, and loaded with nutrients.. at 34% protein and 64% fat, a good portion of the protein and key nutrients are found IN the yolk and best absorbed when cooked. Also wetting the chick feed with water.. can help make it more interesting and even a little more absorb-able.. truly the best offering, but not always convenient.. especially for a single chick size.. make it only small amounts so it gets used up before it starts to ferment.

Excess calcium ( means >3%) *can* cause (doesn't mean will) stunted growth, delayed development, and even gout or kidney failure including sudden death.. if fed long term to birds not in lay.

You can bring in a clump of dirt, with grass, roots and all. It will provide some grit and enrichment, plus even offer a little bit of immunity to things in the outside world.

Purina makes MANY products.. please ensure yours is labeled as starter, grower, or flock raiser. These formulated rations are often made with corn as a main ingredient.. but they have added the needed vitamins, mineral, and importantly the amino acids into it to make it a balanced and life sustaining feed.

Once you have grit (of some sort) introduced.. it is okay to give treats keeping it below 10% of the total intake. But also keep in mind the nutritional value.. Chicks should be around 22% protein (synthetic amino acids make the difference for lower protein starter formulas).. corn is 7% while peas are about 22-ish %.. and please remember that chickens are NOT vegetarian and require some animal source amino acids. So don't forget to share a little meat if ya got it!

Loneliness could be a real reason for failure to thrive at this point.. including decreased appetite and such.. Keep up the good effort! :hugs

Consider adding your general location to your profile as it can help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance.. like helping you find another chick, etc. Hope he thrives! :fl

Oh right, I forgot there is a brand called Purina also. Here in Puerto Rico it seems we call chick feed "purina" (I don't know why) and what varies is if it is meant for growth or for laying hens. Here is a picture similar to the one I bought (except mine was chopped smaller). I will also add a picture of what the food bowl looks like right now.
Screenshot_20201202-165325.jpg IMG_20201202_170149.jpg
Thank you for letting me know. I will boil/ scramble some eggs for it, and check out the other recommendations you mentioned.
As for the meat, any small portion will do? Any kind in particular?

I want to have more chicks (I'm working on making a chicken coop so I can make the chick family happen 🥰).

Update: My dad just told me why it is refered to as "Purina", turns out the first brand of chick feed that was brought here to Puerto Rico back in the day, was Purina (the brand) so then every other brand we find here is associated to the term "Purina". 😂 I think it's a thing we do here, for example, we refere to most blenders as Osteriser, we call all diapers "pampers", chocolate milk "leche con Quick" as for Nesquik, etc. 😅🤣 great, well thank you again, I will check the ingredients and percentages in the food I give Chimby now. 🔍🙏

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom