Very poor health...not sure what else to do!

How unreliable are the fecal tests? It's a bit disheartening to not be able to rely on the results when you really need them to be right. I can get a fecal done easily enough and I plan to take another sample from my goat as well for a recheck after worming. Hopefully, if they are dealing with the same type of issue, it'll be easier/more accurately dx'd. Otherwise I don't really know of any vets that'll deal w/ckns. Is there anyone on here who keeps both ckns and goats that may be able to weigh in on cross transmittable issues? That's what's been difficult for me....finding out if they can even share the same types of worms or whatever else. We also have ducks and they seem completely unaffected by what ever is going on w/the ckns. They share the same water, housing, and feed with the ckns. But they (to my knowledge) also haven't been going around getting into goat poo either.

How unreliable are the fecal tests? It's a bit disheartening to not be able to rely on the results when you really need them to be right. I can get a fecal done easily enough and I plan to take another sample from my goat as well for a recheck after worming. Hopefully, if they are dealing with the same type of issue, it'll be easier/more accurately dx'd. Otherwise I don't really know of any vets that'll deal w/ckns. Is there anyone on here who keeps both ckns and goats that may be able to weigh in on cross transmittable issues? That's what's been difficult for me....finding out if they can even share the same types of worms or whatever else. We also have ducks and they seem completely unaffected by what ever is going on w/the ckns. They share the same water, housing, and feed with the ckns. But they (to my knowledge) also haven't been going around getting into goat poo either.
My goat and my chickens both get de-wormed with Safeguard for Goats (fenbendazole). The chickens get treated with .5cc/kg then again in 10 days. Can't remember what we give the goat.

The coccidiosis that goats get is not the same as the ones that chickens get, so you don't need to worry about that.

Here is an article about worms and wormers for chickens:
http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

I'm so relieved that it wouldn't be Cocci. The only other issues the goats wound up coming to me with were hoof issues that I've been working on (ended up being hoof rot). That is a bacteria thing the way I understand it. I'm going to get supplies today to do a complete coop clean out and to redust for mites. Looking into other forms of wormers also. Any other thoughts on what else to do are welcome! Thanks for all the help folks!

I'm so relieved that it wouldn't be Cocci. The only other issues the goats wound up coming to me with were hoof issues that I've been working on (ended up being hoof rot). That is a bacteria thing the way I understand it. I'm going to get supplies today to do a complete coop clean out and to redust for mites. Looking into other forms of wormers also. Any other thoughts on what else to do are welcome! Thanks for all the help folks!

No it could still be cocci, as even humans can carry in new cocci on their shoes. So the goats could too, even though they aren't infected with the same kind. But I say this because I read on BYC about how a breeder noticed coccidiosis in her brooder chicks which had not even been on soil yet. So it is possible for it to be carried to them, and if they haven't built an immunity to it, they can become ill in theory.

So just by going out and about, say to the feed store, and then walking on your lawn where your chickens are, you can introduce a new type of cocci, is my understanding.

Additionally, if you get new hens, they can become ill with coccidiosis, as they may not be immune to the cocci on your specific soil from what I have read. This is especially true if they are immunocompromised, say with worms.

I just mentioned it as a possibility and don't have any idea if it pertains to your situation.

Last edited:
No it could still be cocci, as even humans can carry in new cocci on their shoes. So the goats could too, even though they aren't infected with the same kind. But I say this because I read on BYC about how a breeder noticed coccidiosis in her brooder chicks which had not even been on soil yet. So it is possible for it to be carried to them, and if they haven't built an immunity to it, they can become ill in theory. 

I just mentioned it as a possibility and don't have any idea if it pertains to your situation.

X2... I was just going to post that.

If the goats have foot rot, then you could very well have coccidiosis as both are more likely to occur in the same damp soil.

If they were mine, I would dust all of them with poultry dust, de-worm all of them with Safeguard for Goats and treat for coccidiosis with Corid (amprolium). TSC carries the dust, Safeguard and Corid, but many of the TSC's have been out of Corid, so they might not have it in stock.

Here is an article I found on hoof rot:
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0087/

Good luck!

Last edited:
A note about Safeguard for Goats... The label says that goats get 5mg/kg which is way less than the recommended dose for chickens. The maximum recommended dose for chickens is 50mg/kg, which is what my vet recommended. Seems like poultry gets a much larger dose of many things, but I don't know why.

Look up Fenbendazole (Safeguard for Goats) in the link that I posted in post #9, it has dosing info for both goats and chickens.

Back
Top Bottom