Very proud of myself - just opened unhatched eggs

Well, the advice on watching for splayed leg was good. This morning she is still not walking and I see the tell-tale sign of the leg going out to the side. I'm going to put hobbles on her and start the chick therapy that I found on another site. Culling is not even an option. I take in special need chicks and chickens. I'm hoping this early intervention, less than a day old, will be successful.

Thank you! Here are some photos of Aggie with her hobble (made from a band-aid cut in half) and her little duck booties
big_smile.png
Her toes really aren't curled but they were starting to since she wasn't putting weight on them so I put them on for a day or two as a precaution. We are already noticing a difference. She can stand up and take a few steps but spends a lot of time on her bottom and hocks. However, from all the sites I've been on, this is normal and good. It is better to be upright on her hocks for now instead of lying down. I made her a playpen too (last photo) to help her gain strength and get socialized without being trampled. As you can see, Zephyr, my 10 day old Serama chick has adopted her
love.gif
Whenever Aggie is in the playpen, Zephyr is with her. Oh, and I also do physical therapy with her every hour by holding her up and moving her, making her walk. Since she is only 1 day old I am hopeful.

DSC00333.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

What adorable chicks!!

Its amazing what some physical therapy can do for little chicks. My OEGB roo was born with a curled foot. His "mama" put on little foot splints faithfully, and even though he tore them off, she would make sure to put a new one on. We got him at about 5 weeks old, and his foot is basically normal. The middle toe has a slight kink, but no issues whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom