:( Very sad and feel guilty

Ugh...this is why I can't part with ANY of my critters. I'd rather shoulder the extra feed bill than worry!

I personally would say, "Call me once you get a nice setup that is predator proof for you remaining duck, and I'll sell you a few more."

A gal wanted to buy a few hens from me, and she was smart enough to ask about her coop setup before bringing them home. It wasn't safe. An open air coop, and no fencing or anything around it in the city. A coon, skunk or any critter..dog...big tom cat would have them for a snack.

I was very nice though, explaining that her setup wasn't really safe yet, and once she got things squared away, to give me a call.

Quote:
Agree!!! If someone is going to take on the responsibility then they need to be prepared before hand!!!

It makes me sick how people can take animals and have no idea how to care for them or keep them safe, or make the effort to give them a good quality of life!

Again, this is why I feel guilty. I didn't ask. Should have, but didn't.

Life is too short to feel guilty for someone else's idiocy.
You can not take it upon your shoulders to do everyone elses' thinking for them. I have tried. It wears you out before your time. Sell them no more ducklings, but offer to take the lonely chick back.
I am Sorry about how awful you feel about this.
hugs.gif

I would tell him I don't have any ducklings to sell him, but I would offer to buy back the one lonely one from him!

My only advice is this:

You have no control over what happens to your birds once they leave your hands. If you really care what happens to them, you can carefully interview anyone who wants to buy a duck from you to see if they have experience and what their housing is like. That will help to get them into good homes.

The other option is not to breed so that you don't have ducks to sell.

I've got to warn you, I've raised show dogs and a lot of people resent even the slightest question about what they are going to do with an animal. They take the attitude that if they've got the money to plunk down, they have a right to buy whatever they want. Once they buy it, it is theirs to do with as they like and it's none of your business. Before you sell them an animal, while you still own it, it is your right to politely decline to sell them anything.

I've certainly politely declined to sell to a lot of people, and I simply don't care whether it hurts their feelings or not. I do the best I can for my animals, so I will turn down any home that is obviously not suitable.

sad.png
THat is sad.

I guess i'm mixed, i do think ensuring he understands what is a proper set-up is, if you plan on selling him more .. but in all fairness we messed up ourselves when we first started out that is how the one got hurt by a coon.. we know now but sometimes you think you have all the bases covered and it turns out you don't.

If one learns from there mistakes then that's good, it's those that don't that are the concern IMO. Selling animals is frustrating, i just took back a bunny ...
roll.png
you make the best choices you can hope for the best... it's never easy, so i wouldn't be hard on yourself about it..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom