Very sad day for me processing

From the BYC Rules :

4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntary, so please be considerate when posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
That's what's so great about BYC. We all have such different viewpoints and points of view. In my opinion, if an animal is suffering and not able to enjoy a certain quality of life, it needs to be relieved of it's suffering. I process my animals because in my opinion, it is a way to honor the animal I just had to take the life of. I choose not to humanize the animals under my care. I feel that if I need to cull them, I show respect to them to use them to help feed us. In my case, the duck I culled had a crippled foot. It couldn't get around well, always had feed stuck to it and the other ducks picked on it. It was a very sad thing to watch. It had a curled foot ever since it was hatched. The very best thing I could do was put it out of it's misery.

Last edited by a moderator:
PC That's tough, I feel for ya. As Chicken lickin put it tomorrow will be better. Sometimes I have a real love/hate relationship with my genuine pets because of days like that.

Speaking of Chicken Lickin...

Quote:
If someone did that to my wife I'd loose my mind. I'd have an arrest record after that. Not a doubt in my mind. Granted I'm very protective (okay overly protective) of my wife. My chickens are smarter than that woman and one of them got lost in an open pet cage today!
somad.gif
Tell her to start talking to the other end of a horse. This concept is gonna tick me off for days.
rant.gif

Swamp

Quote:
If someone did that to my wife I'd loose my mind. I'd have an arrest record after that. Not a doubt in my mind. Granted I'm very protective (okay overly protective) of my wife. My chickens are smarter than that woman and one of them got lost in an open pet cage today!
somad.gif
Tell her to start talking to the other end of a horse. This concept is gonna tick me off for days.
rant.gif

Swamp

Oh man. I would be sitting in a jail cell too.

Well said with pets and livestock being a love/hate thing.

I don't have as hard a time culling large birds as I do small. I keep a crippled chick forever just thinking I can make it better when I know I can't. However, that being said, I actually did have one chick this year that came up crippled, couldn't walk at all and I fed and watered it by hand for months and then suddenly it got better. Really doesn't happen very often though. I wish I was stronger and could just cull them when they need it be culled.
You did the right thing and you know it but it doesn't make you feel any better.
sad.png

Becky

Quote:
So right you are

A quote that helps me

Don't cry because its over
Smile because it happened

When I am face with a lose I remember that quote and I smile at the happy times

Hugs, I had to put my beautiful Black Beauty down last night. I tried for two months or more, and even began calling him Conan the Barbarian on this site, recently. His only fault and really, it was his ONLY fault: He was too big for any of my hens. I needed acouple Jersy Giant hens for him, if they would be big enough for his size. I hatched out four of his sons and ended up having to send two of his son's w/him. They will be a dinner tomorrow night. And, its gonna have to be an awesome dinner because my adult kids won't eat any of my birds I've named. I saved back one half grown son that is a replicate of him and am going to look for some JG eggs to hatch hens for that one, he's not alone, he's got a sister/pullet and they are in w/their mom & aunts. The other younger son is out of a BLRW hen and he'll be the main roo once he's grown, for the BLRW hens, they are pretty good sized. I've got a very soft spot for roosters...its very hard for me. The thing that finally makes me able to do what must be done, is I tell myself its no kind of life if they aren't is the circumstance they need to be in. Living w/ducks, that was a lonely life, so I constantly put Black Beauty (he looked just like a black Ameraucana but the size of a turkey) back in w/his hens and now in winter, their backs are bare. At least they have a heated coop but I shouldn't have left him in w/those hens that long. Yes, its hard at times...
(I had no idea he'd get that big, I got him as a "Black Ameraucana" but he was actually an EE from a hatchery so he must've been crossed w/a JG - its a big loss to me and his coop is very quiet without his big presence. He wouldn't even fit in the biggest pot of hot water to defeather him, I had to do one half and then turn him upside down and do the other half. Dressed out very beautiful, too. I loved that boy, he was okay with whatever I did, he'd talk to me and I didn't mind him mating his girls in front of me, he was always good to me. Thank God I'll have his son's strutting around the yard in the future, a part of him still lives on...)

Last edited:
Quote:
I can certainly relate to your journey -- we're all here learning on BYC. And honestly, considering how many people eat chicken but who "would NEVER butcher a real live chicken" -- part of this journey is just being honest and stopping that hypocrisy. I read a great story recently about a former vegetarian living in the city, who now eats meat, but only if she has known it while it was alive. She buys live chickens and turkeys and personally butchers them for her own table in her backyard. She had a lot of very interesting things to say about it all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom