Very Sick Chicken Eye Issue

activia

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 1, 2012
I brought the chickens fresh water and treats this morning and one of them didn't move. I then went to look at it closer and it looks like one of it's eyes is infected. It's white and looks wet all around it. It's not eating or drinking. I quarenteed is, what can I do?

It's also very very swollen underneath the eye. The chicken is not really moving much. I washed out the eye and put neosporin on it

make sure the neosporin is the one with without pain killer, just antibiotic. You can wash it with an iodine solution, that helps with infection and bacteria, and is safe on eyes (betadine, for example). Maybe it got an eye scratched and it got infected?

I would put vitamins and electrolytes in the water. Is it eating? Any other signs? sneezing, coughing, any discharges from the nostril or the other eye? Poop ok?

Not eating (I even put a treat right in front of her), I can get her to drink if I put her beak in the water. No sneezing or coughing or discharging (besides from the eye). I haven't seen her poop yet.

It's the hen that is lowest in the pecking order so it's possible she got hurt from another hen. The rest of the hens are healthy.

It's hard to see but there is a huge lump of swollenness about 2 cm below her eye, it was wet like that when I first saw her so that was not from me treating it.

Not eating (I even put a treat right in front of her), I can get her to drink if I put her beak in the water. No sneezing or coughing or discharging (besides from the eye). I haven't seen her poop yet.

It's the hen that is lowest in the pecking order so it's possible she got hurt from another hen. The rest of the hens are healthy.

It's hard to see but there is a huge lump of swollenness about 2 cm below her eye, it was wet like that when I first saw her so that was not from me treating it.
i can't see the lump - do you see any obvious puncture area that may have gotten infected? Would definitely use iodine on it too.

So, give her electrolytes and vitamins with the dropper. You cab use a gatorade if you don't have anything else. And then you may want to force feed her a bit of mash with yogurt and honey to keep her going if she hasn't eaten anything in 24 hours.

Chicken can be very resilient, and hopefully she was just badly picked on and is in shock.

If she recovers, you will have to re-introduce her at night in the coop when it's dark, and lightly spray everyone with apple cider vinegar to get them all smelling the same. it helps with aggression. If you have a really bossy top hen that is picking on this one a lot, you might want to isolate her a few days while you re-introduce this one.

chicken feed, warn milk, throw some yogurt in it (plain better) and some honey. make it nice and soft. They usually love that, she might eat it without coaxing..

Thanks! well I looked at some other threads as well and people mentioned that you could squeeze out the gunk in the eye. I actually managed to do that!! A huge ball of crap came out and then she opened her eye. Then I put the Iodine and some neosporin in it and she closed it again (it probably irritated it) She refused to eat, and only drank if I put her beak in the water. I force fed her some of the mash. I'll feed her a little bit more in a couple of hours.

I think so.. I was going to get some trecyclin? but they were out of it at the feed store.

Back
Top Bottom