Very Sick Chicken Eye Issue

I think so.. I was going to get some trecyclin? but they were out of it at the feed store.
Tylan 50 or Baytril are better antibiotics, but tetracyclines are better than nothing. She definitely has no coughing/sneezing/weird breathing/discharge? Nothing respiratory?

or perhpas the vet can get you some terramycin ointment - that has a form of tetracycline in the cream, and if she definitely doesn't have anything respiratory, it could be enough - and then you can save the rest of the tube for any cats or dogs or other animals you have.

def no coughing/sneezing or nasal discharge. Her breathing seems a little off, but I thought that might be because she is stressed?

was it a whitish piece of gunk? sort of squishy? I definitely agree that antibiotics are needed. The breathing would worry me a bit. Are any of the other chickens lethargic or breathing funny?

She could be stressed, but, given the eye, she may be sicker than it seems. How is she doing today? Is she eating anything?

I would try tylan or baytril if the breathing is a bit off, and i agree, you need to keep a close eye on the others. If they start showing any respiratory signs, you might be dealing with something infectious.

It was a whiteish piece of gunk yes. She is still not eating or drinking but her eye looked a lot better...it was even open.

There was another one that was lathargic today (she was running around foraging yesterday but didn't come for warm water this morning). Her feathers on her head were completely frozen and when I picked her up she was shivering. So I brought her inside to quarenteen her just in case. As soon as she was in she seemed much better and was eating and drinking on her own. I hope that doesn't mean that there is an infectious disease....just that she had gotten cold. I'm keeping a close eye on them. I'll see if I can get the antiobiotics today.

Definitely get the antibiotic as soon as you can. At my local feed store they have a fish antibiotic called fish flex. My local vet said its even more powerful then penicillin and safe for humans and animals. That's what I use when my girls had symptoms.

Keep a close watch and make sure they don't start a loose rattling/sneezing. And for any more eye gunk too.

loose rattling? The only thing I was able to get a hold of in my area that was in stock was Tetracycline...

Loose rattling in the lungs, was there any more eye discharge? No watery bubbles in the eye?

I don't know anything about tetracyline but I'm sure that'd be fine.

There was some clear discharge this morning but I couldn't get out any more clumps. I'm not home right now...so hopefully she is alright
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom