Very sick chicken

oaklandchicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
I have 4 chickens. One has had diarreha for a month I, she seems okay but does not lay. I have been giving her cicer vinegar. Now a light brahma is feather light. She seemed fine but stopped laying and now all of a sudden is nothing but feathers on bones. I have started feeding her soft cat food which she eats. She is not excited about the layer pellets. Her droppings appear normal but I need to go and really look closely. Any ideas? She does not seem long for this world.

We feed our chickens steamed rice form our rice cooker with some diatomaceous earth to help control worms they love rice. Make sure it is raw un-pasteurized apple cider vinegar with the mother you are sprinkling on their feed or adding to their water. Cinder vinegar is not healthy for chickens but good for cleaning. We feed our chickens very little pellets and never cat food but I have heard others doing this, we will give ours the head and shells from steamed shrimp, which they love. I started dusting the coop and pen with DE and Sweet PDZ to control flies and parasites. Sanitation is of the utmost importance clean water a clean environment. Knock on wood none have fallen ill or had any health problems. Make sure you give them oyster shell if they have been laying.

Last edited:
Sounds like it could be worms or mites. Can you check and see if she has little crawlies on her? They are easier to spot at night when the bird roosting.
For now, seperate her from the others and get them wormed.
Hopefully someone else has some better direction for you!

What’s in your Cat Food.. a Must Read

History has shown that commercial pet food products can cause disease. Some veterinarians claim that feeding slaughterhouse wastes to animals increases their risk of getting cancer and other degenerative diseases.

The problems associated with a commercial diet are seen every day at veterinary establishments. Chronic digestive problems, such as chronic vomiting, diarrhea, and inflammatory bowel disease are among the most frequent illnesses treated. These are often the result of an allergy or intolerance to pet food ingredients.

http://www.wildgoldbengals.com/whatsinthatcatfood.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was not thrilled to feed her cat food but I was desparate, and have read so many other posts that talk about it. She really seems like she is on her way out. What do you feed in times of trouble?? Is rice enough? I had DE on the food but all the chickens stopped eating that, very unpopular. I am quite surprised to find myself with these problems, and thus totally unprepared.

Take a fecal sample to the vet and have the bird checked for parasites. Take more than one just as insurance. There are specific wormers for most of the possible internal parasites. Example: a couple of my birds had capillaria, I needed to give them levamisole to eradicate them. Without knowing the cause you can not adequately treat.

Quote:
Like I mentioned they love steamed rice it is very easily digested mix your DE into the rice you can also mix in some pellets or crush them to make it easier on your chicken. Add some raw apple cider vinegar to her drinking water. They love greens, lettuce, some tomato, etc. make sure they have oyster shell available. Maybe some others here can offer their advice. Good luck. Make sure your giving them a food grade diatomaceous earth.
http://www.freshwaterorganics.com I use this DE myself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom