Very sick faverolle pullet

so do I need to medicate everyone just in case? I don't want the others to be sick. It is unlikely that she is the only one. How would she have gotten this. We keep our water clean. I don't understand. Could it be from the rain and moisture we have had lately? I will order the meds, but now I need to know if I should medicate everyone or not, and what about cleaning the coop and run with something? How would I do that without having to move them. I don't have anywhere else for them to go. Is this going to kill all my chickens?

This is very upsetting.

Marie

you DO need to keep that bird separated (and ido sooooo hope she will pull through)....
It could have been that her immune system was smply much weaker than the rest of the flock ... though the article said water is often a source ... one of the ways it is source is through the birds sharing a drinker etc that the ill bird has contaminated after contracting the condition.
Look in the beaks of your birds... be very aware at the first sign of placques or ill lethargic birds etc to separate and treat promptly.
Add a source of vit A ... POLYVISOL four drops in beak each day for a week will ensure against this deficiency for the most part...
Get a good supplement like AviaCharge 2000 to support their immune system and ensure against deficiency.
Add one tbsp of aCV to their waterer regularly may help as will a clean dry environment. (If you are adding the ACV to the water then add the supplement to their feed >the polyvisol you can give direct into the beak)
Hopefully you have been in time and a good clean out of the coop , separating the sick bird, and being observant for early signs in the rest of your flock will stand you in good stead!

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I have her in my bathroom right now. Should I be concerned at all about that? Is this something that can affect humans? I appreciate all your help and I will do what I can for her but I will definitely start looking at all the others. I have new chicks coming soon, so I have to get things cleaned up quick. I don't want them to get sick. Should I take them and brood them in the house until I have treated everyone for a while? They are due to hatch any day now. Thanks again.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom