Very Sick Hen - Lethargic - Help

chickenMamee

Songster
5 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Hernando, MS
Very lethargic 3 year old Black Copper Maran hen.
She’s lying around and seems unable to stand for more than few seconds. When she does stand her rear droops down and front end is slightly up higher. I’ve checked her vent for mites, seen no worms in fecal although it does look different now.
I’ve given her oatmeal with olive oil, ACV in her water. She’s lying her eggs as usual.
She’s normally a very loud and robust hen so this is very alarming.
Any help appreciated.
Does it sound like poisoning?

You know for sure she's currently laying? Any signs of molt?
When you say no worms in fecal, did you have a fecal test done or are just looking visually at her droppings?
Many worms will not be visible to the naked eye, the eggs are microscopic and that is what the test looks for, getting the test done would be a good idea if your vet will do so. Are her droppings runny, mucousy, etc, can you post a picture?
I would stop the oatmeal, it can be very hard to digest and really is lacking in nutrition. https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-shocking-effect-of-oatmeal/
Is her crop empty first thing in the morning before access to feed/water (it should be empty then)? Does it feel very hard, or very soft and squishy? Does her abdomen feel bloated at all, either very firm/hard or water balloon like?
Just to try to cover it all, any possibility that she's broody? A broody will often refuse to stand.

Many hens at that age can suffer from reproductive diseases, such as internal laying, salpingitis, or egg yolk peritonitis. Cancer is also a common finding. There symptoms can vary, but they may show decreased appetite, lethargy, separating themselves from others, poopy vents, runny poops, and some may have problems walking or walk more upright or have an enlarged lower belly. Worms should always be considered, and check the crop to see if there is food in it, or if it empties overnight.
Here is some reading:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/egg-peritonitis

When you say no worms in fecal, did you have a fecal test done or are just looking visually at her droppings?
Many worms will not be visible to the naked eye, the eggs are microscopic and that is what the test looks for, getting the test done would be a good idea if your vet will do so. Are her droppings runny, mucousy, etc, can you post a picture?
I would stop the oatmeal, it can be very hard to digest and really is lacking in nutrition. https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-shocking-effect-of-oatmeal/
Is her crop empty first thing in the morning before access to feed/water (it should be empty then)? Does it feel very hard, or very soft and squishy? Does her abdomen feel bloated at all, either very firm/hard or water balloon like?
Just to try to cover it all, any possibility that she's broody? A broody will often refuse to stand.
Where would chickens be without the Chickenchick and Purina eh.
Really, I’m totally amazed that chickens have managed to survive for how ever many thousands of years they have without this pair.
Yes, she has some informative articles. I’ll tell you what though, I wouldn’t want to be in her flock, it seems they’ve had every disease known to man and chicken, which she writes about with great authority.

I tell my chickens every day, look, don’t eat that, the chicken chick and Purina says you’ll die.
Sure, if you just fed confined chicken oats they wouldn’t do very well.
In Senegal the chickens eat peanuts for protein and add to their diet from foraged food; I don’t recall hearing anything about soft shelled eggs, or chickens dropping dead from not eating commercially manufactured chicken food, never mind stuff made by Purina.
Instead of speaking to Dr so and so on the phone maybe she ought to speak to her chickens.
Come on, it’s a sponsored site full of marketing hype. Read with caution and a bit of common sense.
Rant over. As you were.
No offence meant and your advice is probably corect.

Very lethargic 3 year old Black Copper Maran hen.
She’s lying around and seems unable to stand for more than few seconds. When she does stand her rear droops down and front end is slightly up higher. I’ve checked her vent for mites, seen no worms in fecal although it does look different now.
I’ve given her oatmeal with olive oil, ACV in her water. She’s lying her eggs as usual.
She’s normally a very loud and robust hen so this is very alarming.
Any help appreciated.
Does it sound like poisoning?
She’s been getting worse by the day. It’s day 3 now.
Hi
I’m sure she is laying because I have her separated from the others.
Her croop is empty, mushy and her belly isn’t extended. She’s definitely not broody as I know her broody characteristics and this is something else happening.
Oatmeal is a treat not her normal food so that’s why I soaked it in olive oil and offered it since she’s not eating.
I wormed my flock at the end of the summer with Ivermectin pour on 5mg.

11070B06-C8C5-4338-A6A7-E342731BC7A1.jpeg
5B72D8D8-45F2-4D39-8EA8-1BCE491A75B9.jpeg
21CD5164-A89A-43C1-A07F-4E4EE8EFFF78.jpeg
EF9A7D5C-7F63-4520-B2B7-6C0B621DA322.jpeg
3556C4C7-D714-4A0E-9BDD-386149EB71A3.jpeg

She’s been getting worse by the day. It’s day 3 now.

Hi
I’m sure she is laying because I have her separated from the others.
Her croop is empty, mushy and her belly isn’t extended. She’s definitely not broody as I know her broody characteristics and this is something else happening.
Oatmeal is a treat not her normal food so that’s why I soaked it in olive oil and offered it since she’s not eating.
I wormed my flock at the end of the summer with Ivermectin pour on 5mg.
I’ve posted photos. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom