VERY sick hen, need more advice! Figured out problem, is it to late???

Quote:
The three others died far apart from each other.
The first one to pass was my buff rooster baby at 3 months.
He died differently, he ate mold T_T
The second hen died at 4 months, then the last died a week or so after that. And they all curled up at night and just didn't wake up in the morning
sad.png

She is 6 months old now, and yes I have other chickens.
3 silver laced whyndottes (cant spell) that came with the buffs are all alive and doing great, there just tiny
sad.png

I think I got a bad batch of chicks T_T Is that even possible?

If she isn't eating on her own you may have to force feed her. The Poly-Vi-Sol vitamns work great just mix some in water. They are baby vitamns and you will find them with baby stuff. No Iron.... just the regular ones. You will need a syringe for the next thing.

Make a shake for her. You will need a blender to mix everything up. Get about 1/4 cup maybe a little more of regular chick starter grower and if you don't have that layer pellets or flockraiser will do fine. Add in some yogurt, an egg, the vitamns can go in there too and add a bit of water. Blend and see if its about pancake batter thick. If it's too think you can't get it in a syringe or dropper. If you have a plastic dropper you may have to cut some of the tip off because the shake can be a little chunky/gritty and thick. You said you wormed her already so you won't have to put anything like that in there. If you have any of the powdered anti biotic add a little in the shake as well.

Sit some place comfy with a syringe, the shake and a bowl of water. You will fill the syringe/dropper (not fill all the way) and squirt it down your chickens mouth. She probably won't fight you since she isn't feeling well. You can get her beak open it's not hard and she probably won't bite you and even if she does it won't hurt.

If you don't have yogurt cottage cheese will work. Anything that is healthy for her can go in the shake. I eyeball what I put in I don't know any measurements but what I gave you is a start. She needs protien and water because she is probably dehydrated. It's important you squirt water down her throat as well. Give her just enough that she has something in her crop/belly. Not to much you don't want her sicker.

I hope this helps. Good luck I hope she gets better.

Quote:
Ok, I made the mix, sat down on the couch and let her eat until she stopped eating it. She ate it all herself so I am a little bit more hopeful
big_smile.png

Get the Poly vi sol at the grocery store or walmart. Get Ivomec Injectable at the feed store or tsc. Get a needle and syringe if you dont already have them. Use the needle to pull the ivomec into syringe. Once you have some in the syringe take the needle off. Where ever the mites or lice were worse, usually at the backend, put a drop or two in that area, I would also put a drop at the base of her neck at the back. Make sure the drop of ivomec makes contact with her skin, you must pull the feathers apart to do this. I would do this to everyone of your birds not just her. Then do this again in a week to 10 days. You may have to do this every 10 days until you don't see mites/lice anymore.

If she is eating good it may be that the mites have just made her so weak that she doesn't get to the food. Keep offering her food, protein is best and water. Black oil sunflower seeds do wonders if you can afford it.

I had this happen to me with one of my birds and once the mites were under control she perked back up, her defenses are down so keep her warm.

Quote:
Alright ill do that.
I have been dusting them and cleaning the coop every ten days as well, will this work as well as the dust or better and actually get rid of the mites?

And thank you so much for the advice!

Quote:
I used the poultry de-worming solution that I got at the feed store.
There poop looks normal, great, solid, no blood...Like poop...
I feed them blue seal I think? And let them free range in the backyard.
Honey has perked up today also!
big_smile.png
Shes standing!

If she has perked up then your on the right track. Don't stop now get the ivomec and keep feeding her. Scrambled eggs was an excellent suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom