Very sick orpington - Kidney failure? Please advise!

Like I promised, here's the picture of the injection site. Debbie is SO thin. This is along the side of the keel bone on her stomach. I'm alternating sides and placement along the bone. I'm thankful that my sons, 13 and 17, are loving and compassionate vet assistants. They are able to hold Debbie slightly on her back while I give the injections.

Attachments

• IMG_4822.jpeg
    IMG_4822.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 10
It has been a week since I found Debbie unresponsive in the poop tray. This is the first morning that I actually woke up and expected to find her alive. She is still open mouth breathing, but seems not to be struggling as much. She ate 5.5 ounces of Kaytee bird formula yesterday ... yay! If she continues to eat like this, I won't have to tube feed.🙏 I still think there is a possibility that Debbie's heart is enlarged and/or her kidneys are trying to shut down (that's my non-vet self talking). Nonetheless, I'm thrilled to see some improvement. We'll keep "doing what we're doing"! When she is strong enough, the vet wants to do blood work. Debbie is hanging out at Gigi and Grandaddy's house today while we wait for my son at his homeschool group. This grand-chick is definitely being spoiled rotten.🥰

Sounds like you have made it over a very large hurdle. Your love and her strength are doing great things!!! Do you know if she has gained any weight?
Thank you. I agree that we have made it over a large hurdle. This is one tough feathered lady. I started tracking her weight Saturday morning. So far, there is no significant change. No loss either.

Back
Top Bottom