Very sick orpington - Kidney failure? Please advise!

Pics

SmithBrosChicks

Chirping
Jan 23, 2021
My beautiful buff orpington, Debbie, is very sick. We have seen the vet three times and I'm providing 24/7 care, but she is still struggling. Her symptoms are: pale comb, impaired vision (eyes appear normal), occasional panting, puffed feathers, watery diarrhea with bright green bits, lack of strength, thirst, crop not fully emptying, mushy crop. Capillary worms were found in a fecal float test two weeks ago. She has been treated twice with Albendazole. A fecal test yesterday was clear. When she drinks, there is a gurgling sound in her throat.

I am feeding her regular pureed meals and she has a good appetite. I am offering electrolytes in the form of Quick Chick. Debbie is 7 months old and her weight is very low - only 4 lbs. I have isolated her from the other chickens and and keeping her at the house. She sleeps a lot, often standing while sleeping. My best diagnosis based on the input of our vet is that she is down due to damage from the capillary worms. I'm concerned that she has moved into a stage of kidney failure and possible anemia. She is losing so much fluid through diarrhea.

My family is just devastated. If you have useful advice regarding the treatment of possible kidney failure, please share. Thank you ...

Oh my, I'm so sorry. Since you have a vet involved in her care, they're going to be your best bet as far as medical advice and treatment. Is your vet an Avian Vet? If not, maybe you can find an Avian vet nearby that will work with your vet. Maybe someone here has advice to share. I will be cheering for her. Please keep us updated. Hopefully someone will offer up something to do along with vet care. I am wishing you and your girl the very best

I agree an avian vet is best, when available. She probably needs fluids. An avian vet can give subcutaneous fluids. You can also learn to tube feed her fluids.

As far as the diarrhea, I believe if she eats a little cooked rice, that can help. Not super nutritious, but she should probably tolerate it well and it might help slow down the diarrhea.

What makes you think she is in kidney failure? That seems unlikely at her age. What color are her urates? (white cap on poop) Have they gone yellow at all? I believe dandelion is good for kidney support. When I had a girl with yellow urates, I made a mash with feed, warm water, and Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox.

When I’ve had an anemic hen, I provided chopped cooked beef liver snd that really helped. Really any meat can help with iron. Does she have a sour smell? Is her crop soft or hard? If it’s not emptying, it may just be a crop issue you can treat.

My beautiful buff orpington, Debbie, is very sick. We have seen the vet three times and I'm providing 24/7 care, but she is still struggling. Her symptoms are: pale comb, impaired vision (eyes appear normal), occasional panting, puffed feathers, watery diarrhea with bright green bits, lack of strength, thirst, crop not fully emptying, mushy crop. Capillary worms were found in a fecal float test two weeks ago. She has been treated twice with Albendazole. A fecal test yesterday was clear. When she drinks, there is a gurgling sound in her throat.

I am feeding her regular pureed meals and she has a good appetite. I am offering electrolytes in the form of Quick Chick. Debbie is 7 months old and her weight is very low - only 4 lbs. I have isolated her from the other chickens and and keeping her at the house. She sleeps a lot, often standing while sleeping. My best diagnosis based on the input of our vet is that she is down due to damage from the capillary worms. I'm concerned that she has moved into a stage of kidney failure and possible anemia. She is losing so much fluid through diarrhea.

My family is just devastated. If you have useful advice regarding the treatment of possible kidney failure, please share. Thank you ...
The whole flock has been treated for the worms right? and coop/run addressed for life cycle issues?

Your girl is healing and may benefit from relative darkness to slow ovulation, and reduced stress. If she hasn't laid yet, Chick Starter may be good as it has extra protein. Electrolytes and a little yogurt mixed in her food may help since she's had diarrhea. I'm assuming the green bits are undigested greens she has eaten?

Last edited:
Oh my, I'm so sorry. Since you have a vet involved in her care, they're going to be your best bet as far as medical advice and treatment. Is your vet an Avian Vet? If not, maybe you can find an Avian vet nearby that will work with your vet. Maybe someone here has advice to share. I will be cheering for her. Please keep us updated. Hopefully someone will offer up something to do along with vet care. I am wishing you and your girl the very best
Thank you so much. She has been so sick since Monday and I'm trying everything. I'm exhausted, but I don't want to give up on her.

The whole flock has been treated for the worms right? and coop/run addressed for life cycle issues?

Your girl is healing and may benefit from relative darkness to slow ovulation, and reduced stress. If she hasn't laid yet, Chick Starter may be good as it has extra protein. Electrolytes and a little yogurt mixed in her food may help since she's had diarrhea.
Yes, the whole flock has been treated. The coop hasn't been treated, but I need to look into that. Good idea re: chick starter. She really likes yogurt. I thought she had perked back up today, but tonight is not going well. Praying ...

The only avian vet in town is out with Covid. I will keep everyone updated. I'm just not sure she'll make it through the night. She seems so uncomfortable. It's breaking my heart.

I agree an avian vet is best, when available. She probably needs fluids. An avian vet can give subcutaneous fluids. You can also learn to tube feed her fluids.

As far as the diarrhea, I believe if she eats a little cooked rice, that can help. Not super nutritious, but she should probably tolerate it well and it might help slow down the diarrhea.

What makes you think she is in kidney failure? That seems unlikely at her age. What color are her urates? (white cap on poop) Have they gone yellow at all? I believe dandelion is good for kidney support. When I had a girl with yellow urates, I made a mash with feed, warm water, and Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox.

When I’ve had an anemic hen, I provided chopped cooked beef liver snd that really helped. Really any meat can help with iron. Does she have a sour smell? Is her crop soft or hard? If it’s not emptying, it may just be a crop issue you can treat.
She has lost so much weight (I assume due to capillary worms). I'm assuming her body is shutting down b/c of the weight loss and dehydration. That's what makes me think she is in kidney failure. Her urates are watery with bright green bits. Thank you for your advice regarding the Lily of the Desert. I gave her liver today. There is no sour smell. Her crop is soft. After wearing a crop bra last night, it was mostly empty this morning.

It's 12:30 p.m. here in Mississippi. I'm still up with my girl. She just ate about a half cup of Gerber oatmeal with probiotics and iron. I mixed it with Gatorade. I think I can go to sleep now. Her labored breathing is worrisome, but I feel better since she ate. I'll post again tomorrow with an update. Thank you all so much.

Back
Top Bottom