Very sick rooster

Aubby

Chirping
Nov 8, 2016
Oklahoma City
Am looking for anyone that can help. Yester day eve I noticed my rooster's comb had turned purple and he was laying down. Today same thing, except he is wobbily when he walks and wings dragging. He did eat when I put veggies down. Any Ideas???? Help, Please!! Am leaving for 5 minutes to collect him in carrier and bring him inside. Will be right back.

Got him in the house and he drank some water with antibiotics and ate a little. Just flying by the seat of my pants. His comb went back to red with a little black on the tips. So any help til I can get him to the vet will be appreciated.

Last edited:
How old is he? Have you ever had any sickness in the flock or have you added any new birds recently? A dark comb can signal heart problems, a lack of oxygen in his blood, and other problems. Is he dehydrated? Has he ever had any frostbite in the tips of his comb before? I have noticed my rooster will occasionally get stressed, and his comb will become blue on the tips, but then later will pink up. The drooping wings and imbalance sound like he could be dehydrated and very weak. Make sure that he is drinking water, and I would add some electrolytes (SaveAChick) and offer some chopped egg or canned tuna. Check his droppings. Look his skin around the vent and elsewhere for lice or mites.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering. My roo is about 8 months old and when I first bought my chickens back in May 2016 I lost 2 to a respiratory disease. Haven't added any new chickens and every one of them have been fine. since I brought him in the house I have offered him water every hour and he drinks a lot . We are just now getting in the 50's in OKC, so no frostbite (I would think). Will give him electrolytes. He does have severe diarrhea. Will check for mites or lice. If you have any more ideas I will be glad to hear them. And THANKS again for the reply.

Could be part of your problem. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only. The calcium levels will cause kidney damage in non-producing birds and eventually kill them.

Any suggestions on how I feed my roosters separately. I have three roosters and l4 hens. I feed them all out of one feeder. Never thought about the roosters eating hen food.

It is a little early for frostbite to be a problem in most states, but if they have had it before, the combs can tend to turn dark, so that is why I asked his age. Since you had some respiratory problems, there could be a problem. Is there any nasal or eye drainage, or sneezing or wheezing? Things like mold from wet conditions or spilled feed, can cause some respiratory problems such as aspergillosis. The diarrhea can be causing more dehydration. If you have a regular vet who would consent to testing his dropping for worms or coccidiosis, that could help. I hope he starts acting better. Here is a good link to read about common diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
My Rooster passed this morning. I take full responsibility for this due to the fact that I wanted chickens and did not research very deeply. I am taking him to vet today for necropsy. Hopefully I will get answers and can keep the rest of my flock safe. Appreciate all the feedback. Will be changing my feed today also.

Back
Top Bottom