VERY Skinny and Lethargic

DE is Diatomaceous Earth (sp?)...it is a natural mineral powder which is very effective in controlling external and internal parasites. You want to get the the Food Grade kind, if you get it. Lots of people like it because there is no chemicals in it. I think our birds don't like it because it is white and they are suspicious of the color, but we will probably get some to mix in the dusting holes in the barn over the winter, we mix it with the dust already there. Cheapest place to get it that I've found is www.hoeggergoatsupply.com

Quote:
Food grade Diamatious EArth can be found in feed stores around the country...I put it on their shavings and mix it into the dirt in their bathing spots....I read on here that the old timers used wood ashe for dusting this has the same results as a dirt bath...

The non-food grade DE will have about 80% silica... that's the one to stay away from, I hear. I use the Eprinex/Ivomec pour on with a little squeeze syringe, and just squeeze a drop or two at the base of their tails. I haven't had any issues with using the eggs during treatment, because it's a very small amount (it goes a long way) and it's not internal.

Back
Top Bottom