Very skittish indian runner ducks.

Heffalump

Songster
Aug 18, 2018
Northern Ireland
Yesterday I got 2 Indian runner ducks (2 females), one 8 wks old and one 20 wks old. I didn't go for newly hatched ducklings as I didn't want to end up with more than one drake.

Anyway. They are very nervous and are totally terrified of me. If I let them out they basically just run as fast as they can in the opposite direction to any humans or the family dog.

I read an article today that said that basically unless you tame them from a hatching Indian runners will always be skittish.

What do you think? Will they ever come around or will they always frantically try 5o escape me?

They don't need to be lap pets, but I had wanted to be able to watch them potter about the yard playing in the water etc, not watch them flee in terror.

Ours were the same way, been about 3 weeks now, all are hens, they still won’t eat from our hand but when I go in with peas they stand behind the other 5 ducks who are going crazy over the peas looking like they wished they were brave enough to get in on it. Ours follow the group so it’s relatively easy to herd them. They do occasionally stray off, but want to get back together so it’s not a huge crisis. They are getting better day by day and it is encouraging.....now if they would stop humping each other....😕

Thanks for the tips. I don't mind putting in the time to tame them if they will eventually calm down, it just seemed cruel to inflict my presence on them if they aren't ever going to get over being scared. I'll keep at it!

Back
Top Bottom