Very Sleepy Chick 6 weeks

emma p

Songster
7 Years
Jun 24, 2013
Kansas
Hello! I have a six week old polish chick that will fall asleep every few minutes. She only falls asleep (for the most part) in the afternoon however sometimes it also happens in the morning. She is growing nicely and is the same size even slightly bigger than her siblings. She is showing no other signs of being sick. Their mom hen will not sleep with them anymore except for at night. Her siblings seem to sleep a normal amount. Should I give her vitamins or something? They are getting chick food.
Thank you so much!
--Emma

P.S. Hope I am posting this to the right place...

Chicks do sleep a lot while growing, and they will fall asleep very quickly. One minute they are running around looking for food, the next they are sprawled out on the ground, looking like they are dead!
Some chicks are just more prone to sleeping than others, and some tend to stay away from the flock more, but you should watch for these signs: A chick that doesn't preen its self, isn't feeding, won't follow its siblings, or doesn't become alert at signs of danger may be sick.
Chicks that stand when sleeping (legs spread out to keep their balance), have their head pulled back against their shoulders, have their wings drooping, or have their feathers ruffled may also be sick.

A chick that is getting the right food (starter/grower or grower) and getting exercise and clean water should be getting proper vitamins. Getting outdoors also helps with that, since the sunlight, bugs and grass provide extra nutrition.

Good luck with your chickens!
smile.png

Thank you she will sometimes sleep when standing up but not for long before she lays down or starts moving around again. She never spreads out her legs though. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom