Very small weak chick

I thought for sure I was loosing her last night, she wasn't looking good at all. So I stayed with her and I can't believe it but she's still alive. I decided against giving her any more formula and mixed half and half soaked chich starter and rice cereal, I have to open her beak and squeeze a little bit in her mouth with a syringe. She's 5 days old today and still can't walk or barley even stand without support. Am I doing the right thing for her? Or am I just prolonging her suffering.....but on the other hand my heart tells me that as long as she's still willing to fight, I'll be in the fight with her. This is so hard.

It's a very hard decision to make. I don't feel right giving you a definite answer one way or the other. My only advice is to do what is right for you, what you think is best. Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Does anyone know if Yogurt would help? It's already pretty thin.

Also, if she's so small you may be able to wrap her in something so you don't need a second person to hold her.

Does anyone know if she can maybe remove some of her feathers, so that she can see the tube as it travels?

Sorry I can't come help. I live on the Gulf Coast.

I thought for sure I was loosing her last night, she wasn't looking good at all. So I stayed with her and I can't believe it but she's still alive. I decided against giving her any more formula and mixed half and half soaked chich starter and rice cereal, I have to open her beak and squeeze a little bit in her mouth with a syringe. She's 5 days old today and still can't walk or barley even stand without support. Am I doing the right thing for her? Or am I just prolonging her suffering.....but on the other hand my heart tells me that as long as she's still willing to fight, I'll be in the fight with her. This is so hard.

There is no answer to your question really - you must do what you feel is right.
hmm.png
As far as yoghurt and milk products go - chickens don't have the ability to digest the proteins, so you would be better off giving her the vitamin/electrolyte solution mixed with her chick starter. Make sure it's really sloppy so it can go down easy.
Afraid I can't be of any assistance with the tube feeding etc. - I have never done it.
We all have our fingers crossed for you and chick - hang in there,
hugs.gif

Just your advice means so much, thank you. I've been feeding her about once an hr, and dipping her beak in water every half hr. Am I under feeding and watering her? Or over feeding her... I honestly have no idea what I'm doing just taking it hr by hr. In your experience how often would you say I feed and water her? And is she able to go all night without eating? I'm going on very little sleep to stay with her, I'm so afraid she'll die alone I can't leave her for very long

Just your advice means so much, thank you. I've been feeding her about once an hr, and dipping her beak in water every half hr. Am I under feeding and watering her? Or over feeding her... I honestly have no idea what I'm doing just taking it hr by hr. In your experience how often would you say I feed and water her? And is she able to go all night without eating? I'm going on very little sleep to stay with her, I'm so afraid she'll die alone I can't leave her for very long

Since she won't/can't eat/drink by herself I would say that every 30 minutes in the day and hourly at night is not too much. Is she pooping at all?

She has pooped some are normal and sometimes really watery, I haven't seen her poop at all today though, I'm wondering if she's having a hard time passing the rice cereal mixture, so the next few feedings I'm only going to giver her watery chick starter. I tried rubbing her bottom with a warm cloth and so far nothing

She has pooped some are normal and sometimes really watery, I haven't seen her poop at all today though, I'm wondering if she's having a hard time passing the rice cereal mixture, so the next few feedings I'm only going to giver her watery chick starter. I tried rubbing her bottom with a warm cloth and so far nothing

Sounds good - fingers crossed for you both tonight...
fl.gif

I'm not sure what to do, she's making what looks like gasping for air with no sound while I was holding her, I have her under the heat lamp now and she seems to have stopped and is sleeping. That can't be a good sign

I'm not sure what to do, she's making what looks like gasping for air with no sound while I was holding her, I have her under the heat lamp now and she seems to have stopped and is sleeping. That can't be a good sign

It does not sound promising. If she dies, don't beat yourself up - you have tried really hard....

Muffin died late last night while I was holding her. I knew she was going to go so I stayed with her to be sure she didn't die alone, she went quietly and while being loved, and although deep down I know it was for the best, the 5 days she was here weren't very fun for her I just can't stop crying.

Back
Top Bottom