Very Soft, Large Lump!

leec

Songster
8 Years
Jan 21, 2014
SW Michigan
View attachment 2681940
My six-week-old chick has a very large, very soft lump on her chest. She is still pretty active and I don't notice anything else wrong. I don't believe that it's her crop. I have chick grit in a separate feeder offered to all 17 chicks. I don't know what to do.

No, I'm definitely not sure that it isn't her crop. When I massage it, I don't feel any lumps. It's just very soft, like a partially filled water balloon.

Or her mouth, or the other end? Or from the lump? If the lump, here:
Thank you for your reply. The fluid came out of the lump. My husband and I were wondering if that's something we should think of doing. I'm so ridiculously squemish with things like that but I'll probably try. Thanks again.

Yes. She was never quite the same afterwards, but she was definitely more comfortable. Vienna was always known as the grouch afterwards, and she stayed that way until a dog walked out of her chicken coop with her in it's mouth. She went from being the grouch, to being a very happy hen, well, except for her dog PTSD she ended up with. :rolleyes: Yes. I know. For whatever reason, Vienna ended up being my "Bad Luck" chicken. Everything bad to happen, always appeared to happen to her.
As far as with the needle procedure, that needs to be drained, and a needle is the only way that I was told to do with Vienna. A hollow needle would be best, and unfortunately with Vienna, the needle wasn't hollow, and was very long. For all I know, Vienna might of actually got internally injured because we didn't have the right needle.
If all else fails, maybe you could take your chick to the vet and maybe they can drain it for you? I don't think that it'll go away, and if it's leaking, draining it the sooner, the better.
Ok! All good advice. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have you completely ruled out crop? What does it feel like when you massage it? After she eats, feel it and see if you feel her grain inside.

Look for any new or old wounds around the whole area. There is a small possiblity that it could be an abscess. If in that case, told to me by someone who is basically a vet, just without the degree, take a sterile hallow needle, and drain it. Pale, yellow, stinky liquid will probably come out. Or at least it did on my Vienna on a similar situation. But please first, completely run out crop!

Back
Top Bottom