VERY strange growth......need help ASAP!-----UPDATE!

iluvmychicks

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Indiana
I had a call from a lady who needed help with her "chicken" I had her bring it over so I could take a look and have NO idea how to help this bird, or what to tell her what is going on. I guessed it was some sort of tumor?? Has anyone ever seen this or have any ideas for treatment?? She said she had one last year get the same thing and it died. I sure felt sorry for this little guy but could offer no assistance. Thank you in advance for any input:)

Edited to add this growth is hard as a rock, I also did not see any discharge or smell from the lumps.........

Shari

689_p9210460.jpg

689_p9210462.jpg

Just wanted to update those of you that offered all the help with this poor guy. I have very good news, she took him to a Avian Vet who unbelievably saved his life. The growths were actually caused from the sinus cavities being clogged, it backed up and caused those huge knots on his head, he lanced the knots and apparently it popped out like a hard marble, he stiched him up and has him on some heavy duty antibiotic, he is going to be OK, it's amazing I know. Just though you'd like to know, she was very thankful to those of you that were supportive and offered all the NICE suggestions;0)

Thank you,
Shari

Last edited:
First of all let me get this out of the way:

he.gif
th.gif
hmm.png
roll.png
somad.gif
rant.gif
old.gif
smack.gif
duc.gif

TSK! TSK! TSK! SHAME ON YOU FOR BRINGING A "STRANGE" CHICKEN TO YOUR HOME!!! NEVER, EVER DO THAT AGAIN! Haven't you ever heard of Biosecurity?!
If that thing has anything contagious, guess what? Now yours do too! ESPECIALLY if you didn't wash up and change your clothing before you handled your own chooks!
Really now, use your noodle next time!
The next time you want to help someone elses sick/hurt chook, GO TO THEM, then change your clothes/bleach your shoe soles and take a shower BEFORE going near your flock.

wink.png
big_smile.png
Now that is out of the way; I am not sure WHAT on Gods green earth that poor thing has wrong with it but I would have been VERY tempted to cut into it.... That hole in it sure is interesting!

Is this the only one she currently has like this?!

What she said.

I believe the abcesses(?) need to be opened and drained. I also think the nares need to be cleared out. I would put the bird on a strong antibiotic.

You need to get a complete history of what has been going on, when it started and what if any treatment she has done.

I am willing to bet that if you pull that scab off and squeeze that their will be a semi solid yellow goo just like bumble foot I have seen this before in someones chicken. If it is a yellow you will have to get all of that out and fill the cavity with some sort of antibiotic like neosporin and put that chicken on antibiotic.

oh wow, were there any bugs in it or any maggots coming out of the nostrils? I have no idea as to what to do but wold probably try to lance it and drain it in some way. The fact that it has happened before is very scary. Like everyone said never bring an ill chicken close to your home, and always wash and change cloths and lysol your shoes.

I would really reccomend that you have her contact her state and have a necropsie done on it so that she can figure out what it is. It would probably mean culling the bird but since it has happened before it is more important to figure out what it is than to save one chicken, in my opinion of course.

please let us know if she ever figures it out.

Back
Top Bottom