VERY STRANGE QUESTION I THINK

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lightbread48, Feb 24, 2008.

1. lightbread48

lightbread48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    Thomasville Ga
    I haven't done this yet. . . . tho I have to admit I have been thinking about it. If I put food coloring in my water bowls or in the food will it change the color of my eggs? I thought it would be super cool if my hens could lay eggs that are pre-dyed for Easter. I know this sounds kind of silly, but what do yall think?

Lightbread

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You'll just stain their internal organs. The dye normally doesn't pass through to the eggs.

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I dont know but im about to try it on some roos i have pened up so it want really madder on the results. I'll check back tommarow and see what happens

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Their poo will turn colors?

5. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    [I dont know but im about to try it on some roos i have pened up so it want really madder on the results]

[​IMG] why?

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, it will change the color of their poo and internal organs. Same thing if you drank the dye yourself. Liver is great at filtering things out. Egg shell color is determined by genetics.

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    Quote:because they are just extra roos that are mutts , they dont really have a purpose, theya re penned up because of my roo to hen ration, they tear the crapp out of my hens backs, but i dont expect them to get sick or anything.

8. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

o_O

9. Cheekon

Cheekon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    Quote:because they are just extra roos that are mutts , they dont really have a purpose, theya re penned up because of my roo to hen ration, they tear the crapp out of my hens backs, but i dont expect them to get sick or anything.

Their still animals and you don't want to hurt them.........do you? [​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Giving food colored water to birds won't hurt them... but it also won't do anything to them other than dye their poo. I personally wouldn't do it or recommend it as there's not really a point other than to show that it gets filtered out of the system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by