VERY Stressed male quail

You may need to return him to the breeder who will "take care of matters" if you can't.

It is more cruel to release them into the wild where they will meet a less humane fate.

Now that they are sexually mature, there is little you can do to overcome nature. (Quail are not easy. . .)

Although he is separated, can the grey quail see the female? Perhaps his stress relates to not being able to see her.
Hmm the grey quail can't see or hear the female since she's in a different area. However, I think he knows that the others are near since he sees and hears them when I let them out to take sand baths.

You may need to return him to the breeder who will "take care of matters" if you can't.

It is more cruel to release them into the wild where they will meet a less humane fate.

Now that they are sexually mature, there is little you can do to overcome nature. (Quail are not easy. . .)
Oh man.. but luckily the breeder that I bought them from doesn't kill quails. Hopefully he'll accept my gray one if I decide to give him back. And yes, quails are more troublesome than I had thought '_'

Hmm the grey quail can't see or hear the female since she's in a different area. However, I think he knows that the others are near since he sees and hears them when I let them out to take sand baths.
If it eases you, I had a situation exactly as this one!
I also own two male quail and one female. I would separate all three into different compartments except it stressed them to not be able to see one another, even if they could hear each other. The males would therefore crow for a majority of the day. To prevent the crowing I allowed them to be in eye-view of the female even if all three were separated. This significantly reduced the stress and crowing.

If it is more convenient, perhaps you could donate or sell the grey quail. Releasing him into the mountains would endanger his survival.

If it eases you, I had a situation exactly as this one!
I also own two male quail and one female. I would separate all three into different compartments except it stressed them to not be able to see one another, even if they could hear each other. The males would therefore crow for a majority of the day. To prevent the crowing I allowed them to be in eye-view of the female even if all three were separated. This significantly reduced the stress and crowing.

If it is more convenient, perhaps you could donate or sell the grey quail. Releasing him into the mountains would endanger his survival.
Oh thank you, I feel less alone. I'll definitely try that out.

Your options are to cull him, rehome him, or get enough females to satisfy both males and keep the two flocks separate (minimum of 3 each). Unfortunately quail are typically not reformable. If this male has an issue with the female he may always be aggressive to her and you will need to give him his own flock, either with you, or away from you, or in quail heaven.
It may be possible that he’s only that aggressive because he’s young and hormonal. In this case you will still need a lot of females to keep both males, since even if he stops attacking the hen, I doubt he will be mating her gently and might soon start attacking the other male.

Your options are to cull him, rehome him, or get enough females to satisfy both males and keep the two flocks separate (minimum of 3 each). Unfortunately quail are typically not reformable. If this male has an issue with the female he may always be aggressive to her and you will need to give him his own flock, either with you, or away from you, or in quail heaven.
It may be possible that he’s only that aggressive because he’s young and hormonal. In this case you will still need a lot of females to keep both males, since even if he stops attacking the hen, I doubt he will be mating her gently and might soon start attacking the other male.
Oh.. that's true. I guess I really can't keep them together. He's been crying every few seconds since last night and it's been taking up a lot of my time trying to calm him down. I think I might just re-home him.

Please don't release your quail, whatever you decide to do. One, they're domestic, and aren't likely to survive. Two, it's illegal in most places to release a non indigenous species to the wild.

You need to make a decision on how to deal with your aggressive male. You can eat him or try to rehome him. The reality is, not a lot of people will take a male.

Back
Top Bottom