VERY Stressed male quail

quailsssss

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2021
Hi people.. I have 3 quails, a gray, brown, and yellow one. I posted a thread last week about my gray quail attacking my yellow quail. I recently found out that my gray and brown quails are male, while my yellow quail is female. I tried everything to get my gray quail to stop, but for some reason he only attacks my female quail(yellow). I've separated him for a few days now and he is incredibly stressed. The first day, he made some loud noises and he seemed to be calling for the others, but he was fine after that. The second day, his noises became louder. The third day, even louder. Today, the sixth day, he's been making some crazy loud calls(school fire alarm loud)and he flew out of the separate box that I put him in. When quail are scared, they usually lower their heads and look up, but his reaction seemed to be much more serious. When he flew out, he went into a corner and stayed crouched with his feathers ruffled for 10 minutes. To explain, he was in the position when quails take a dump(tail up), except he wasn't trying to take a dump. His cries are getting louder and I don't know what to do! I'm incredibly stressed, even more so because he's stressed and it's affecting my day to day life. Any tips on calming a stressed quail?? Or any ideas on why he's attacking only my female quail? He doesn't seem bothered by my brown quail(male) at all, which is quite weird because I know that males usually fight each other for the female. Luckily my brown quail is docile, so him and my yellow quail are staying together just fine. My parents are saying that I should release my gray quail to the mountains 😔, but I'm pretty sure he won't survive because he's been living at my house since he was 3 days old. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading ;-;;.

Last edited:
Please don't release your quail, whatever you decide to do. One, they're domestic, and aren't likely to survive. Two, it's illegal in most places to release a non indigenous species to the wild.

You need to make a decision on how to deal with your aggressive male. You can eat him or try to rehome him. The reality is, not a lot of people will take a male.
Don't worry, I won't release him :) I called the seller today and he was happy to take him in and give me some eggs in return.

Your options are to cull him, rehome him, or get enough females to satisfy both males and keep the two flocks separate (minimum of 3 each). Unfortunately quail are typically not reformable. If this male has an issue with the female he may always be aggressive to her and you will need to give him his own flock, either with you, or away from you, or in quail heaven.
It may be possible that he’s only that aggressive because he’s young and hormonal. In this case you will still need a lot of females to keep both males, since even if he stops attacking the hen, I doubt he will be mating her gently and might soon start attacking the other male.

Maybe take out the brown quail for a bit maybe he is stressed because the brown quail mounted the female and that there is just one female
Hm I tried putting my yellow and gray quail together(w/o the brown) earlier today and the gray one was still super aggressive. The yellow one eventually just flew out because she couldn't take it anymore.

Also have you tried a sand bath that should calm them or maybe treats like mealworms??
I let them out several times a day to let them play in the sand bath and they're fine.. sometimes.. depending on their mood. Today, they didn't fight. However, when I put them back in the cage, the attacking began again. I guess I'll try expanding the cage and make a separate official area for sand bathing :/

You may need to return him to the breeder who will "take care of matters" if you can't.

It is more cruel to release them into the wild where they will meet a less humane fate.

Now that they are sexually mature, there is little you can do to overcome nature. (Quail are not easy. . .)

Your options are to cull him, rehome him, or get enough females to satisfy both males and keep the two flocks separate (minimum of 3 each). Unfortunately quail are typically not reformable. If this male has an issue with the female he may always be aggressive to her and you will need to give him his own flock, either with you, or away from you, or in quail heaven.
It may be possible that he’s only that aggressive because he’s young and hormonal. In this case you will still need a lot of females to keep both males, since even if he stops attacking the hen, I doubt he will be mating her gently and might soon start attacking the other male.
Oh.. that's true. I guess I really can't keep them together. He's been crying every few seconds since last night and it's been taking up a lot of my time trying to calm him down. I think I might just re-home him.

Back
Top Bottom