Very Swollen Eye :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueCamas, Oct 3, 2012.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    One of my Bantam Pullets suddenly got a swollen eye about 3 days ago and it's getting worse and worse [​IMG]
    I was looking at previous threads, but none of them seemed to match her symptoms. Her eye had no discharge or bubbles before it swelled shut completely. I also noticed that her whole skull seems to be affected, you can see a noticeable lump on her head above the worse eye. She seems perfectly fine otherwise, no breathing issues or anything. It looks really horrible and I think she's been scratching it. I will be separating her from her flock mates tonight who are showing no signs whatsoever. What can I do for her? I'm scared to death that what ever it is, it's contagious and that the rest of my birds will be in danger. This all happened so quickly and I'm at a loss of what to do!!! [​IMG]

Here she is, her other eye is starting to show symptoms (pale, firm, large
    [​IMG]

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  3. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Good News (kind of [​IMG]) the swelling has gone down enough that you can see her eye! It is still very swollen though. Here is a picture I took today of her, poor girl [​IMG]
    I still have no idea what it could be...

[​IMG]

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    what have you tried?

5. Zanily

Zanily Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2012
  6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Awesome Zanily! I am gonna read it as well and save it with my other sites... [​IMG]

7. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I was reading about this, but the symptoms just don't seem right. She has no respiratory problems and she had no bubbles or any goopiness in/ around her eye (aside from obvious scratching.) [​IMG]

8. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Oops. Double post. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  9. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Put her on a regime of sulfadimethoxine or erythroymcin if you can.

Jim

10. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Where can I get this? Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by