Very thin goose! Help

ColdCreekMinis

Chirping
Sep 25, 2019
In the last couple of days I have noticed my 8 month old goose stumbling now and then. Today I picked him up to feel for his breast bone and it was sharp and thin. I need help finding what I should feed and give him. I don't want to lose him.

Agree with @blackandtan sounds like something going on with his diet.

In the winter months they aren't able to forage as much of their diet as usual, so a quality balanced feed is a must!
Many of us with geese and ducks feed an "all flock" or "flock raiser" feed.
Cut out any treats you may be giving that could throw his nutrition out of whack.

Other than being thin and stumbling, any other symptoms? What do his poops look like? Still eating and drinking?

No problems other than being thin. I have 30 chickens as well so I don't think he has been getting enough. I am giving a mix of duck feed, alfalfa pay pellets, and sweet feed. I have b complex, poultry nutri drench, rooster booster. What should I give?

No problems other than being thin. I have 30 chickens as well so I don't think he has been getting enough. I am giving a mix of duck feed, alfalfa pay pellets, and sweet feed. I have b complex, poultry nutri drench, rooster booster. What should I give?

Is he housed with the 30 chickens all day? How often does he get to bathe in water? Do you see any sign of mites or lice? Poop pictures would help as well as pictures of the goose.

I would give him Rooster booster or the poultry Nutri-dench just to cover all bases instead of just B complex. Do the chickens pick on him at all? What do you mean by "I have 30 chickens as well so I don't think he has been getting enough". Does he have another goose for company ?, geese should not be only housed with chickens/ducks.

The more information you give us the better we can help you goose, so sorry for all the questions.

If he’s alone loneliness and bullying can definitely be factors. Geese should be kept in pairs, but in the meantime I do know of folks whose situation allows them to keep a singleton by becoming the gooses’ “special friend”, with lots of interaction, treats (healthy ones), petting etc.

He may need to bathe too, especially in winter; I used to shower my ducks weekly in the wintertime, they washed, played, got Cheerios and parsley, and it was a great opportunity to check their body condition and overall health.

Water is also super important for waterfowl...thus the name...they don’t just need it for drinking, they literally can’t eat without it, that’s why their buckets etc get so dirty; what kind of waterer do you use? Can he get enough water to drink? Is he able to clean his bill and nares, (nostrils).

If he’s alone loneliness and bullying can definitely be factors. Geese should be kept in pairs, but in the meantime I do know of folks whose situation allows them to keep a singleton by becoming the gooses’ “special friend”, with lots of interaction, treats (healthy ones), petting etc.

He may need to bathe too, especially in winter; I used to shower my ducks weekly in the wintertime, they washed, played, got Cheerios and parsley, and it was a great opportunity to check their body condition and overall health.

Water is also super important for waterfowl...thus the name...they don’t just need it for drinking, they literally can’t eat without it, that’s why their buckets etc get so dirty; what kind of waterer do you use? Can he get enough water to drink? Is he able to clean his bill and nares, (nostrils).

:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom