Very tough decision.

Jferlisi

i dont eat chicken!!!!
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Menifee CA
Ok so i have 3 sick hens, they all seem to have upper respiratory infections. They are all three just over a year old- ones a Speckled Sussex, ones a light brahma, ones a silver lakenvelder. I have raised all three since babies and about 2 weeks ago i lost my bantam SS to a coyote. I have been told i should cull since im starting a silkie breeding pen. I really dont want to cull and feel horrible just thinking about it.
hit.gif
. Do i cull them for the sake of my breeding pen which the layers were here first or risk the silkies health too.
hu.gif
. I just dont know what i can do.

I'm sorry...if they are all together in the same coop area..then yes, you are risking the silkies health too...are the ill chickens on any antibiotics or meds to help? Do you have oxide or heard of it?

If you are going to sell your eggs for hatching or chicks (or chickens) from your silkie pen, you should present a healthy silkie.

But since you seem very upset by all this, maybe you would want to take one to the vet for verification. I have read one person's story on here where she did that and the answer was internal parasites, not respiratory infection. I believe this was done by necropsy, and that would involve sacrificing one of the chickens' lives for autopsy.

Still, the vet might be able to do a throat swab or something to determine what it is? I don't know.

Have you treated with Tylan 50 or anything else?? Are you assuming this is something they'll always have (or be carriers of)? Because unless you know exactly what it is, that may not be the case.

I dont have them on anything atm since two just started showing it today. The layers free range all day so they will have somewhat close contact to them. I dont think its a parasite since they are all showing some of the same but each has a dif one also. Also the only bird vet around us wants 655 for a visit.

There are lots of different kinds of URIs, some kind of perm. (because even after treatment they can remain carriers), while others aren't too serious. You can treat any URI, but unless you have a bird tested, you don't know which one you're dealing with. If you have a closed flock, then it's not a big deal. But since you're wanting to bring in new (breeder) birds, then it could be a big deal. You could cull just one of them (rather than all three) and have it tested for a lot less money (or possibly free if you go through your state vet)...

Quote:
Ok thanks. My sister and i have been talking and would only some birds be showing symptoms of it even tho they are all kept in the same coop?

I'd try to give them some meds before you cull. Separate and give them a few days.

Also $655... do they want that all at once!? Are they going to make your hens lay golden eggs after that visit! GEEZ!!!

Back
Top Bottom