Very twisted neck, newly hatched, not stargazing?

NaomiSarah

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Hi everyone - I had a chick hatch yesterday with a completely twisted neck - the silly little thing is practically looking behind itself. For the first 6 hours it could hardly get off its back because it would lose it's balance, but it's now up walking and drinking. I haven't seen it eat yet, and I'm massaging the neck a little bit because it seems to help it get some flexibility... is this wryneck? I thought wryneck went along with stargazing, which this chick does not do. It's getting along fine with the rest of the flock! Just... looks a little... ridiculous LOL. Anyways, when they hatch crooked like this, anyone had them survive? Can't decide on the cull issue because it seems to be getting around fine and socializing as much as chicks do.

Never had this happen but ive seen it suggested to give electrolytes for twisted toes and legs. I d try that. Like sav a chik or something.

Thanks, I have vitamins in the water and will pick up electrolytes when I go into town. I read on a silkie site that massage helps so I'm just gently massaging it every few hours.

I few drops of Poly ViSol (infant vitamins) WITHOUT Iron can't hurt. If it's a vitamin deficiency such as Wry Neck the Poly ViSol a few times a day will fix it up in just a couple days.

I was shocked at some of the twisted positioned the babies were in for hours after hatching under my broody hens.. I really thought that mama might have smooshed them to death, but they dried out and limbered up and are now running around the barn yard. Vitamins won't hurt, but I think time and warmth will help. Best of luck!

Thanks - The neck isn't straightening on it's own yet, but my gentle massages are helping it increase mobility.

We had one hatch like that but it was not a severe as your seems to be. I carried that chick "rolled up" with my hand wrapped around it off and on for about a day. She would kind of push against it and eventually she straightened out. I don't know if the pushing helped straighten her out or if it was something that was going to happen anyway but it can't hurt. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom