VERY upset. Need a shoulder.

Quote:
Quote:
This is good advice above. For what Sonoran Silkies said... I have a guard dog. 4 years worth of training into a 5 year old dog. He is as much of a family pet as I can allow him to be... but he is only socialized with the wife and I, and our kids. My parents or grandparents, cousins or friends come out, I have to tell him to stand down, lock him up and keep him away. So a guard dog won't serve in the short term.... Unless you go with what Jenski said.. Shepherds and Shep mixes are extremely intelligent, and are natural watch and guard dogs even at a young age. They are so smart (or smart alec) that they think they are people too! Almost no formal training would be needed there, just socialization as the dog grows and ages with basic house training and obedience when age appropriate. But you said pets may not be the best... And with your hubby gone for long stretches... Hm...

Definitely get a driveway alarm. They are cheap, easy to install and help with piece of mind. If you have basic flood lights anywhere on the outside of your house, you can get a socket converter to make it a motion detection light. As simple as twisting in a new light bulb. And as far as a tactical shotgun goes... A good double barrel is as good as a beefed up mossburg to any intruder. Get a gun you are comfortable with, shoot with it till it feels like an extension of your body... like pointing your finger. I could go on and on about stress shooting but I won't, just be comfortable enough so every time you aim, you can tell where your sight picture is without having to close one eye across the sights.

Definitely do what Gretchen said... Hook up with other Army wives. There's a reason its a club, a television series and many movies have been made about them
wink.png
I would rather face their husbands than some of them let me tell you... Oh yeah, and don't forget to laugh and have a good time!!!!!! Your kids will need to see you happy!

I didn't read all the posts but wanted to send you a
hugs.gif
My husband works for the National Guard full time and went to Iraq from March 2003 - May 2004. The kids were 12 1/2, 10 and 8 at the time. I worry that he will get called up again now that Obama wants to send more troops to Afghanistan.

I understand your fears and the heartbreak you might feel for the kids. You WILL get through it though and be stronger for it. People asked how I managed while he was gone and I just said "Every morning I get up and do what I would normally do - I can't change that he isn't around" I hope you have a good support system of family and friends to be there for you. You always have BYC - let me know if you need anything.

chickensducks&agoose :

I live real rural. If I call 911, they will send state police from the barracks 40 minutes away... which is SO NOT HELPFUL! An ambulance can get to my house within 30 minutes... my friend's ex-marine husband can get to my house within 10 minutes... we're real rural. so I am my best line of defense... so anything LOUD would be good. DH is not a big animal lover, and would probably be totally furious if I added any more pets to the roster. do you'all think I can train my border collie/ lab mix to be a better watch dog? She's a rescue, and was badly treated when she was little, so she cowers a little if you make her nervous... but she does bark sometimes when DH comes home late...

I think, animal lover or not, he would want his family to be safe. Look into German Shepard rescue, Great Pyr rescue & Rottie rescue. Finding the right one would help your home be safer and be a wonderful guard for your family. If my husband was going to be gone for an extended time, whether he liked animals or not would be of no consideration for my and my families safety and feeling of security.

Also, please thank him from myself and my family for his service. And I thank you and your family for the sacrifice that you and going to be living with him being gone for the next year.

BTW, you may find that he might develop a bond/relationship with a good well behaved protective dog, which is there for his family when he could not be. God Bless your family.​

Last edited:
I didnt read all the posts but would like to say we had a security issue at our house. We live next door to a seriously unstable person who is fixated on me. We found a split screen monitor and 4 cameras on craigslist for 200 bucks. Simple and easy to install and setup. We can also hook it up to a recorder. I can look at the screen and see people coming from a ways off. I also have a pack of dogs in the house. Between the cameras and the dogs I feel pretty secure. The dogs let me know if anyone who shouldnt be around is and I can see anyone approach from the moniter. When the husband is away I leave it on at night and if I feel the need to check on my property I can do so without leaving the house or even opening a door. If your armed make sure you are confident in the handling of your carry weapon then remember to actually carry it. Too many women leave their weapon in their carry purse or in the bedside safe instead of carrying on their person. Set up a safe room in your house that you and the kids can retreat too if needed. Make sure the door on that room has 3 hinges on it, is a solid core door and has a sturdy deadbolt on the inside. Practice a safety drills with the kids having them retreat to the safe room if they hear a code word from you.I feel that if you take charge of your security and are proactive about your safety and the safety of your children your anxiety level will decrease. Let those who you trust know your schedule and ask them for frequent checks on you and the kids. If you like and trust the nearest neighbors ask them for their help in keeping an eye on things.
Be aware but try not to let fear rule. You can get thru this. My husband was gone from our home for a long time when he got a job in another city. At first I worried then I stepped up took charge and did what I needed to in order to make myself as safe as possible. I learned how to keep myself safe and that makes me feel good. I wish your husband a safe deployment and a quick return and hope that peace will be on your mind soon

Or get a BIG dog bowl and leave it on your front porch that way they THINK you have a big dog, maybe some BIG man boots covered in mud sitting there too? Or just get a dog...or a security system...or BOTH would be the best.
smile.png
hugs.gif
I think you will be fine.

do you maybe have a friend who could stay with you for a while? or maybe you could get a really big dog to help you feel more secure? sorry I can't be of more help. I hope everything works out and that your husband is safe while overseas.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry! My geese are much better alarms than my dog. First the geese goes off and that signals the dog to bark! They may be messy but no one gets to the door without my knowing it, NO ONE!
If I change clothes they honk at me until I talk to them and they know who I am! I have Africans and I love them.

You both get a huge Thank you from me for your service to our country.
I can relate to how your feeling and what you are about to go through. I found out yesterday that my son will be deployed to Afganastan on Feb. 8th for 8 months to a year. I was also blindsided and thought he was safe from being deployed he only has 1 1/2 yrs to go before he completed his 4 yrs.
I will keep you in my prayers. You need to find some local support groups. It helps to have someone to talk with who can relate to what you are going to be going through. It is tough but we can do it, you are never alone.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Totally agree. Our 2 toulouse are the best for letting us know when anything or anyone steps on the property. And I can hear them when I can't hear the dog and we have a big dog.

And they are so easy to keep.

Thank your husband and you for serving our country. Prayers for you and yours.

Back
Top Bottom