VERY UPSET ...Shipping of chicks through the USPS~

daps2000

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Horse Shoe/Mills River, NC
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this .. so if it isn't ... just let me know and I'll re-post in the correct place.
idunno.gif

My issue is not the shipper but with the Post Office.

To start ... I've had a stressful time tiring to receive my babies this week. In short: 16 chicks where mailed to me on Monday (Expressed Mail) from Alabama, they did not come to me in North Carolina until late Wednesday night! 8 of them arrived DOA!

Here are some facts. The scanning of them leaving AL on Monday until I received them at the Asheville Post office was Zero! Tuesday night I called the Asheville Post Office 5 different times. I knew when they where going to arrive and when the trucks where coming in. Wednesday morning I sat in the parking lot and counted all their trucks! Every-time a truck pulled away the employee's would come out and tell me how sorry they where that my chicks where not on that truck! When the night shift came in ... they called me to ask how my chicks where ... and they where shocked I hadn't received them. Sympathetically they helped me with the arrival of my dead chicks and reassured me how upset they where that no-one could tell me where they had been from AL to NC!

TODAY ... I have made several calls, tons of emails between me and AL post office, Charlotte PO customer service, and the Post Masters office in Washington DC! I have found out that #1 they are NOT required to scan that package and track live animals, #2 they use FedEx to ship some of their express mail (which are not held accountable for live animals), #3 that NO-ONE can tell me who I can hold accountable for the shipping of my babies! YES they where insured, but that besides the point here.

THESE ARE LIVES!!! Not some package! If I ever decide to start shipping these wonderful, soulful animals ... I will not put my trust in the USPS ... to handle them with care!

I do have pictures of the carnage, but I will not post them!
somad.gif

Tell me that anyone else has had this same problems with the lack of tracking live animals, tell me there is a group of us that want to change the laws and practice of the USPS. Tell me that I'm not crazy for just letting this issue just drop!
he.gif

Thank you!

Might want to start voicing on the Birdshipper of North America......I do not know if it is effective however with all those storms going on, there will be delays. FedEx was the contractor for USPS and they do take on live animals despite of things going on. It is a risk that everyone knows and accept. maybe when the weather warms up, you will have better luck.

I have shipped out a good amount of adult birds, and have done them express mail.
I had one that took 4 days to get where she was going, because of that she made it just was very dehydrated, even the post office where she ended up was nervous she herd no noise in the box, she opened it to make sure gave her some water, and kept her company to perk up until she got a hold of the new owner.

But what i was starting to say is, because you have the receipt they have to guarantee that the bird will arrive by when they say, and if a bird gets shipped express they have to track them, and if they are not on time you have the proof by your tracking # and they have to refund your shipping cost, i had this happen a couple of times.

But it is true you take a chance on shipping live animals in this weather.

Last edited:
Quote:
True that, and they will refund the shipping, but their is no tracking of them! AND no one can tell me where they where from point A to B! Here is what their tracking says:

Service Type: Express Mail PO-Add

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processed through Sort ASHEVILLE NC 28810 02/24/10 4:42pm
Facility

What happen between these times?

Processed through Sort BIRMINGHAM AL 35203 02/22/10 7:56pm
Facility

Acceptance GADSDEN AL 35901 02/22/10 4:12pm

I'm sorry you had that experience! Did you pick up your birds at the Asheville distribution center? They were very nice and accommodating when my chicks came through there. I had spoken to the Leicester PO about trying to intercept the chicks from the AVL distribution center before they put them on the truck to drive 30 minutes/sit overnight at my local PO, but the Leicester PO folks were adamant there was no way to do that, but low and behold, the AVL distribution center called me to say they had them, less than 24 hrs after they shipped. I'm sorry you had this experience. Regardless of seasons/weather/etc, the truth is, if they are going to allow to ship live animals, there just HAS to be more accountability and tracking! Or don't allow it!

PS I grew up in Mills River, went to Mills River Elementary, Rugby, then West.
big_smile.png
Have you lived in Mills River long?

Quote:
Yes ... ASHEVILLE ... was very very nice! And I go there because the Mills River PO ... is terrible and I like you want my chicks ASAP ... No ... I haven't lived here too long ... but my husband has ... he too went to those schools ... and so did his son!

Quote:
Yes ... ASHEVILLE ... was very very nice! And I go there because the Mills River PO ... is terrible and I like you want my chicks ASAP ... No ... I haven't lived here too long ... but my husband has ... he too went to those schools ... and so did his son!

Haha, small world. My mom taught at Mills River and then Rugby for a very, very long time. Any chance either of them know Ginger House?

I am sure I am showing my ignorance and am definitely not trying to rub salt in the wound...but why do people ship live animals like they are books or something? I know they survive *most* of the time but I cannot imagine why shipping a bird in a box could be considered humane? Isn't there someone locally you could buy from?
hide.gif

I really am sorry for your loss though...truly!!

Quote:
I agree ... and the next time I want something like this ... I'll make the drive! 14 hours of drive time ... there and back could have been done! AND ... I will think twice before I do such a thing ever again ... thank you for your understand! Maybe someone will read this and think twice before they make my mistakes! I just wish I could someone (other than myself ... ya I know) accountable for where they went!

Back
Top Bottom