VERY UPSET ...Shipping of chicks through the USPS~

Quote:
If they are born on mon they need to eat by tuesday. I don't know........would one day of no food kill a baby chick. Or were they born sunday, shipped monday and it would be 2 days. i am curious now.............
hmm.png

Just hatched chicks live on the yolk for 3 days. They don't have to eat or drink within 24 hours.

I understand about the risks of timing and quantities and weather and that the shipments are committed weeks in advance, but risking the chicks' lives to get a particular breed baffles me. I can understand it for agricultural use, but I'm a pet chicken person, I guess. I could not open a box not knowing if it would have dead chicks in it.

I guess I should count myself lucky I live in a place where there is a large supply of live chicks, and I don't think I'd ever have to use mail order. I can think of many instances where someone might need mail order like if they live really rural or very urban while I'm lucky to be in between, but to get a particular breed is one reason that really puzzles me. My daughter is already telling me I'm wrong, so if you need to reply that, your base is covered.

Last edited:
Quote:
If they are born on mon they need to eat by tuesday. I don't know........would one day of no food kill a baby chick. Or were they born sunday, shipped monday and it would be 2 days. i am curious now.............
hmm.png

Just hatched chicks live on the yolk for 3 days. They don't have to eat or drink within 24 hours.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......................OK. I freaked myself out for a second
hide.gif

My Express packages have always provided online tracking through the PO. Priority usually only shows the beginning and end. Are you sure they were shipped Express? I understand your frustration over not knowing where they were for 2 days, but 2 days is quite typical for Express and Priority mail. The only difference is Express has a timeline guarantee. Some can take 3 days or more. I have shipped lots of lives without incident. The tracking has nothing to do with your DOAs, but I'm sure you realize that. DOA is more likely due to them not being day olds at time of shipment or they sat somewhere and got too cold (with so few in the box). Could have also been sick chicks, rough handling of the package (dropped?), a rough/soggy hatch and so on. I'd be more concerned over why they died versus why the tracking wasn't updated. But that's just me.

is there anyway to delete a thread after its posted? I just don't think some of you really understand !!!

OK ... ITS MY FAULT ... BECAUSE OF WHEN I HAD THEM shipped ...ITS MY FAULT I WANTED these SPECIAL BABY'S ... ITS MY FAULT THAT THE POST OFFICE PASSED THEM OFF TO FEDEX ... ITS ALL MAY FAULT ... I ORDERED THEM BEFORE APRIL!!!

and ... for my punishment I had to open the box! I'm trying to understand why the post office would pass the box to Fedex ... and just loose my babies!!! I love my babies!!! ... here is a picture of the new chicks in the back ... and the one's I hatched 3 weeks ago ... maybe if I change the subject?

24578_img_1970.jpg

I'd be happy to close your thread for you, but you did ask the questions and people are trying to offer you helpful advice. Just because it isn't the advice you want to hear doesn't make it wrong. I'm very sorry for your losses and hope the rest of the peeps are doing well.

p.s. no one lost your babies. That is quite evident by the fact you received the box and within a normal time frame (which we're trying to explain).

It's not your fault! You did nothing wrong.
hugs.gif

You feel bad enough, I'm sorry you feel insulted by some of the replys. I'm sorry for what you went through.
hugs.gif

Thank you for changing the subject and sharing your picture. Chin up sweetie!
yippiechickie.gif

I didn't hear anyone blaming the OP for the incident, so I'm not sure where they're making that assumption. This stuff happens on occasion and it is very sad.

I talked with fed-ex and they told me that fed-ex has been contracted for express mail with usps for many many years. It most cases everything turns out according to plan, but just like anything in the mail, sometimes something happens or isn't tracked and gets temporarily lost or something... but the ones that did survive would probably not even be alive if not for mail order... so in one way we can thank mail order that these little guys even exists

Back
Top Bottom