very weird rumpless marans

Hi,

Thanks! I have two cochins and two buff orpingtons, so yes, I am noticing their little bums may need me to use a baby wipe occasionally. Thanks!

The issue with this Marans is, and it's driving me bonkers, is that I ordered 2 Dominiques, 1 Partidge Rock, 1 Barred Plymouth Rock rooster, and then 1 Rare Assorted, 1 Brown Layer hatchery choice, 5 Rainbow Assorted hatchery choice. And one free meal maker so I can donate eggs to the needy.

By process of elimination, reading/research, I've deduced that they gave me:

1 Rare-Blue Cochin
1 Brown White Rock
5 Rainbow: White Cochin, Welsummer, Light Brahma, Green Queen, and this one.

I got my barred rooster, my Partidge Rock, one of the Dominiques and the two Buff Orps free. They were listed as the meal maker for the June 8 hatch day.

Even if it was genetic and she was a Dominique like she should have been, she's got a single comb, not a rose comb. That's what got me started on my quest. Honestly, of all 13, she most closely resembles my roo Stephen, because it looks like wavy saddle feathers are starting to develop., though she's not nearly the size of him, not for she have comb/wattle development. The other identification tool that should be able to help with determining breed isn't helpful to me-leg/shank color. All the have looks an orange leg with black over them. So, that's annoying.

Like I think I mentioned, they did have extra Blue Cuckoo Marans for this hatch date, and the hatchery was literally bombarded by orders due to Coronavirus. It makes me really think she's a blue cuckoo because we waited a long time in the drive thru while orders came right out for cars behind us. It was almost as though something was wrong with the order. We were nervous until they gave us our box, and we pulled over and saw all the colorful, sweet babies in the box!! And two free!! I'm thinking they didn't have an extra Dominique, so they figured they'd pass off a blue cuckoo marans and no one would be the wiser. In which case, like I said, it's ok! And heck, I'm excited about a darker "chocolate" egg!! It's just SO curious as I sit and watch them run around my yard, cuz she looks just like them except for that rump!!!!😂

their little bums may need me to use a baby wipe occasionally
You could just trim some of their butt fluff so the poop would not stick that much to it.

Regarding your original order it might just have been a mix-up at the hatchery, which can happen and more so with all the customers lining up impatiently waiting to be handed their chic box.

Thank you. I realized I confused myself and probably everyone who reads this, lol. She has a rose comb, not a single comb which is why I'm leaning towards the Marans. Looks nothing like her sister, Mica who has barring and rose comb too, but a decent tail

As for the mix-up, I realize it is probably a mad house in the hatchery, however, I've watched A LOT of video tours of Meyer Hatchery, and read even more, and they are extremely well organized.

Their site allows for real time ordering of availability, so I followed along, watching which they were selling out of, and what they seemed to have. Interestingly, I learned they can save fertilized eggs (as can the backyard breeder!! Who knew!? Not me!!) and prepare for hatch dates. I plotted and planned, and figured I'd have a better shot at receiving some higher priced babies than if I ordered myself. It's all a roll of the dice. I'm not the gambling type, but this summer is pretty dull so I thought I'd liven things up a little 😂 wooo, look out!! Wild n crazy chick here!!

And with certain breeds they leg band them for easier identification. Their hatch day organization looked pretty impressive. They start around 2-3 am, getting the first trays of hatchlings from the incubators, and taking them to be sexed. Each breed is in different incubators/trays. They never cross paths.

After they're sexed, they go into color coded baskets and into the sorting/packing room where they sit until the packers print the customer order and start packing. I think that's where the issue began because your order form is supposed to be on the inside of the lid with grow gel but they didn't include mine. I had grow gel but no order form.

I just don't see how they could accidently put the wrong baby in when every color coded basket is marked by breed. And every breed is housed in separate hen houses so there's zero chance of breeding errors.

I'm just not sure 😂 It could be she's just got a genetic issue where she's developing her tail feathers slowly. I've read about that. But she's ten weeks now. I figured I'd be seeing some by now. Do Marans have tails? That's one thing I'm very unclear on. I've read and read, but I'm not understanding much besides comb or leg/shank color of what the differences of these three barred chickens are. And, it's VERY tough to notice straight barring versus V patterns of the Dominique. I'm really not seeing them. My roo looks so unique compared to these three because he's grey/white very straight stripes, like a zebra. He's BEAUTIFUL and hypnotizing to look at!! Definite difference between him and the girls.

Thanks again!!

I just read this on Beginners Barred and Cuckoo:
Barred = barring gene + slow feathering gene. (Plymouth Rocks fit in here)
Cuckoo = barring gene + fast feathering gene. Soooo, maybe they just have some Barred with the rose comb in their hatchery breeding stock.

Back
Top Bottom