Vet didn't allow me to be present for chicken euthanasia. Valid or cause for complaint?

Hi.

I had to put my chicken down yesterday. I was at peace with the decision - I was sad to let her go but I knew 100% I wanted to be there for my sake and for hers.

The vet said there was no way at all that I could be there as she was euthanised beacuse "the anaesthetic is dangerous". This makes absolutely no sense to me. I have read that it is distressing because they don't use a catheter but NEVER that it is dangerous, or that there is any reason besides potential emotional distress for me to not be allowed there. There was no mention of her "professional opinion" or "strong recommendation". I was emotional and in no state to question this. It broke my heart that I couldn't be with her and I feel so guilty for not challenging it.

If the vet & whoever else was in the back room could be there, and if dog & cat owners can be there, I see no reason why I can't be. I have read that it is not recommended, but never that it's not allowed. I feel like this was completely wrong of the vet to present her opinion as fact and not allow me to be with my girl in the end. I don't think I will ever be able to make peace with this knowing I wasn't there. She's ex battery so she was basically born on a conveyor belt and I hate myself for letting her die in such a quick, thoughtless manner. I will never let that happen again.

Basically what I'm asking is if this was actually valid or not. Has anyone else ever had this experience? Is there a valid reason why it's "dangerous"?

Thanks.
I think you were there for her, an ex battery chicken that I'm sure you gave the best life ever, and you even responsibly cared for her enough to go take her to the vet and try to save her until the end. I think you can be at peace knowing that your chicken knew who was on her side, and that was you, 100%. Sorry for the loss of your beloved gal!

I'm very sorry for your loss of your dear hen and how you did have to experience this.
We once took a very ill young wild dove to our vet clinic. The poor little one had to be euthanized and the vet brought him/her in another room to do this (this had been never the case with other animals like guinea pigs or dogs... )So I think it really could be that birds get it done/need to get it done in a way that's different than for example dogs and cats - that birds perhaps react 'violently'/difficult to bear...but I'm not sure, I didn't ask at that time.

You loved your hen - emotionally you were there by her side, all the time:hugs

I work at a vet clinic. A few possible guesses, but I can't say for sure.
Assuming it wasn't COVID protocol, perhaps their only route of euthanasia may have been intracardiac euthanasia which can be distressing for some owners. That is how we have to euthanize most rodents since their veins are so tiny.

We put them under gas anesthesia before we do it so they don't feel anything. I've had two of my rats euthanized this way and was present for it. Since they are under anesthesia their heart just stops beating and that's it.

I have not seen a chicken be euthanized in this way so I can't say if they would start flapping like one would in meat dispatch. We allow owners to be present for intracardiac euthanasia, the veterinarian just explains what is happening as they do it. Otherwise I have no idea why they wouldn't let you in.

I’m so sorry for your loss, and that you couldn’t be there. When we had to put our dog down, we were allowed to be there the whole time, and I know she’s not a chicken but I don’t get what would be different. That just seems wrong, and horrible to do that to someone. Hopefully someone else knows more about this.
I am sorry you had this experience. I have been present with my pet birds when they had to be euthanized. It involved injections. One to sedate and another to put them to sleep.
I would question the vet to learn just how they euthanized your chicken that would make it dangerous. The situation here has prohibited clients from going into the clinic with their birds due to Covid restrictions. I disagree strongly with this as we are all masked and following protocol.

I’m not sure if that is a valid reason. Was this a newer vet?
I’m not allowed to go into the vet for anything. They come out to get the dogs, one at a time, and if I need any medicine I just order at the window.

Where I live, we aren't allowed to come into the vet. They come out and take our animal inside and we wait in the car. If you have medicine/prescriptions, they bring it out to you.

The ONLY exception is with euthanasia. Only a few people are allowed inside, and you need to wear masks.

I don't see why it would be "dangerous." That makes no sense to me. When my emu chick had to be put to sleep due to shock, they used a gas to render him unconscious and then injected him by the vein in his leg.

He was already kicking because of the shock, but he quickly settled with the gas and when he was injected his death was quick and peaceful.

I'm sure it'd be easier to euthanize a larger bird like a chicken, unless it's a bantam?

I work at a vet clinic. A few possible guesses, but I can't say for sure.
Assuming it wasn't COVID protocol, perhaps their only route of euthanasia may have been intracardiac euthanasia which can be distressing for some owners. That is how we have to euthanize most rodents since their veins are so tiny.

We put them under gas anesthesia before we do it so they don't feel anything. I've had two of my rats euthanized this way and was present for it. Since they are under anesthesia their heart just stops beating and that's it.

I have not seen a chicken be euthanized in this way so I can't say if they would start flapping like one would in meat dispatch. We allow owners to be present for intracardiac euthanasia, the veterinarian just explains what is happening as they do it. Otherwise I have no idea why they wouldn't let you in.
This was my guess too. I'm sure it was intracardiac. But i don't see why the owner couldn't be present unless they didn't plan on sedation first. Some vets don't sedate first unfortunately, and with no sedation, the animals can struggle and it can be quite traumatizing to their beloved owners. Non sedation euthanasions aren't very common at all, so I'm sure the ol gal was put to sleep first. But you're right, having a large needle jabbed into your pets heart may not be the most comforting way to witness her go. Again, i think the Vet was just looking out for you. I think that's probably what happened here most likely. But a agree with you OP. I would want the truth handed to me up front and the process explained. It's up to the owners if they can handle the news and whether they want to witness it or not, not the vets. OP, if it makes you feel any better, Veterinarians are required to have a witness present, an assistant if you will (just like doctors). Which was my duity. I assure you even without the owners present, we take good care of your beloved pet and make sure it's as comfortable as possible. We have compassion as if it was our own. If the owners chose not to witness it or assist with it, i took their place. Many furbabies passed peacefully in my lap being loved on and comforted. They took a nap with their head on lap while being pet and talked to. That's all they knew was love and comfort in their last moments, regardless who was in the room 🥰 My vet, and the vet i worked for, was so deeply compassionate. We didn't do it on an exam table if we could prevent it. We got down in the floor to the dogs level where it felt most comfortable. Like actually sat in the floor with it and provided it a loving lap or a comfy bed.

I had to have a chicken euthanized just a few months ago. They just injected the medication into a vein in her wing and it was peaceful and no movement on my babies part at all. I think a lot of people just can't understand how someone can love a chicken like they would a dog or cat. I didn't bring her home to bury but I did remove some of her feathers to keep. I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. It's hard to find vets for avian and the ones available only work a couple of days a week. Plus it's a 35 mile drive.

I had to have a chicken euthanized just a few months ago. They just injected the medication into a vein in her wing and it was peaceful and no movement on my babies part at all. I think a lot of people just can't understand how someone can love a chicken like they would a dog or cat. I didn't bring her home to bury but I did remove some of her feathers to keep. I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. It's hard to find vets for avian and the ones available only work a couple of days a week. Plus it's a 35 mile drive.
Yes. I hate when people are so pushy to take chickens to a vet. Specifically an Avian Vet. Avian Vets are not a thing here in Southeast Missouri, and i don't think even any of the local vets are specialized in chickens. They may know about as much about them as goodle can tell ya. Heck, i don't even know if there are Avian vets in Missouri period. All the surrounding big cities within the state or surrounding states would be 3 or 4 plus hours away. And I'm sorry, but... just no.

Back
Top Bottom