Vet didn't allow me to be present for chicken euthanasia. Valid or cause for complaint?

I have had birds die in my arms of natural causes, and yes they convulse mildly, but that just means I can hug them tighter and say goodbye. Your story is tragic to me, and justifies my anger with the entire vet profession, at least with regards to raising chickens. But let it go, you said your goodbye when you gave her the bird and I at least believe the vet was humane.

"Alright, we're going to be putting your beloved pet to sleep, however, there might some side effects to the euthanasia, such as twitching, flopping, seizing, frothing, choking, she might beat her little head against the the table 9-10, even 15 times but don't worry, she can't feel it, it's just reflexes.
But don't feel bad about it, as I see your current emotional state is wrung out after watching your pet go through this, you'll probably not spend the next few weeks wondering if this "merciful end" was the best way end your pets life."

Putting an animal down in front of the grieving owner is hard enough, having the Animal react adversely to it is probably a nightmare.

I've never been present at the euthanasia of my pets, I didn't want to watch them die on a metal table even though I knew it was the best thing, i always second guess my self.
Even the animals put down at home I couldnt watch. I always said goodbye as I buried them. I suppose I'm a coward.

I have been present for nearly all the pets I've had euthanized. It isn't like you are imagining it. I have held all my babies. They are given an injection to relax them, and they fall asleep peacefully. Then when you are ready they give a second injection to stop the heart. I'm sure different vets may do things a little differently, but a caring vet makes the experience as peaceful as possible. I even had a vet come to the house to end the suffering of my wife's 21 year old cat. My wife was on hospice and unable to go to the clinic. Sometimes there are no options where we live, but if there are several vets call around and ask questions.

This was my guess too. I'm sure it was intracardiac. But i don't see why the owner couldn't be present unless they didn't plan on sedation first. Some vets don't sedate first unfortunately, and with no sedation, the animals can struggle and it can be quite traumatizing to their beloved owners. Non sedation euthanasions aren't very common at all, so I'm sure the ol gal was put to sleep first. But you're right, having a large needle jabbed into your pets heart may not be the most comforting way to witness her go. Again, i think the Vet was just looking out for you. I think that's probably what happened here most likely. But a agree with you OP. I would want the truth handed to me up front and the process explained. It's up to the owners if they can handle the news and whether they want to witness it or not, not the vets. OP, if it makes you feel any better, Veterinarians are required to have a witness present, an assistant if you will (just like doctors). Which was my duity. I assure you even without the owners present, we take good care of your beloved pet and make sure it's as comfortable as possible. We have compassion as if it was our own. If the owners chose not to witness it or assist with it, i took their place. Many furbabies passed peacefully in my lap being loved on and comforted. They took a nap with their head on lap while being pet and talked to. That's all they knew was love and comfort in their last moments, regardless who was in the room 🥰 My vet, and the vet i worked for, was so deeply compassionate. We didn't do it on an exam table if we could prevent it. We got down in the floor to the dogs level where it felt most comfortable. Like actually sat in the floor with it and provided it a loving lap or a comfy bed.
Reading this really got me crying. Thank you for sharing this and thank you for caring for animals that are dying. My precious Ellie Mae (7 year old Maltese) was at NC State Animal Emergency while waiting for her neurologist to come in, seizing in status. Her neurologist rushed in and pushed every med she could come up with for the next 10 hours. As soon as Ellie would start to come around, another seizure would start. She had been diagnosed with encephalitis and her neurologist was wonderful. After 12 hours seizing her neurologist suggested the kindest thing for Ellie would be euthanasia. I was at home, almost 2 hours away. I gave her permission to go ahead with euthanasia. I'm confident that she was kind to Ellie and reading this was soothing to my soul. I've felt so guilty for not being with Ellie. Thank you so much.

OP, I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know you but I do know that you love your hen and I'm sure she felt your love. My heart goes out to you and I'm sending you virtual hugs. I'm so sorry

The only reason I can think of is that poultry do not react like mammals to those type of drugs, she would likely have told you that because chickens tend to flop violently around while dying and it would have been hard for you to watch if that happened.
She probably thought she was being kind.

In some cases , vets tell people that their pet died peacefully in their sleep when it might not have been the case, it's easier and kinder on the owner.
Since nothing could be done anyway, there's no point having the owner feel worse than they already do.
I'm sure it's distressing. And I fully understand that her heart was in the right place, but she took the choice away from me and in my mind she had no right to do that.

Just thought I'd drop by to leave my similar experience, but my veterinarian refused to let me be present when they euthanized my chicken. When I asked if I could hold her they said no and just left the room with her before I could respond. I got no answer as to why.
Awful bedside manner!! So sorry that happened to you.
OP, I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know you but I do know that you love your hen and I'm sure she felt your love. My heart goes out to you and I'm sending you virtual hugs. I'm so sorry
Thank you. Posting this, I didn't think anyone would understand why I was so upset to let her go. I imagined people thinking "it's just a chicken." It's quite validating to hear people say things like this, and it definitely makes it a little bit easier.

Anyway, I've attached a photo of her when I got her, and the most recent photo of her stealing my drink. She has been a pleasure to own. She was part of my first ever group of chickens and I will always remember her as the one that inspired me to do this forever.

Thank you everyone for your lovely replies. I'm not going to complain, the vet thought she was doing the right thing. I just won't let it happen again.

Attachments

• IMG_6476.jpeg
    IMG_6476.jpeg
    814.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1878.JPG
    IMG_1878.JPG
    546.3 KB · Views: 9
"the anaesthetic is dangerous" sounds like a bald face lie. Vets should put them under with gas or an anesthetic injection and then inject the euthanol, but not all do it that way. I know with small animals (pet rats etc...) vets that don't have small anesthetic chambers will give a direct heart shot which is very traumatic.

I don't think you have any grounds for a complaint because you could have simply refused and retrieved your bird. No veterinarian can hold an animal against the owners will (unless there is an outstanding bill). I once had to demand they hand a dog over after a spay and the tech got really pissy (the clinic did not have staff there at night and she would have been better off at home). They may not like it but they don't have a choice. The same applies to human hospitals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom