Vet trip today....

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
My husband has proclaimed me completely paranoid, over protective and cute...
roll.png
My girls (a couple of them) were caught sneezing ocassionally a couple of days ago. So, I started paying close attention and I checked them for discharge, breathing difficulty and could not find anything wrong... I was truly a mother hen. This morning I got up and loaded the brooder in the van and went strolling into my vet's office. He was laughing at me at first and then checkd the girls out. He could find no symptoms or signs of a cold or respiratory infection but they are being aggravated by something. He is thinking like myself, that the dust from the pine shavings they scratch to bits in combination with the house being closed for the winter still, is irritating their little noses. So, as a precaution against the cold right now (we got snow again yesterday
hmm.png
), he gave me a light dose of antibiotics for them to take for 7 days. He said better safe than sorry as they are only 11 days old and a cold or respiratory infection could kill them quickly.

He also told me after watching them for 5 minutes, that with them being so active with their scratching, to make sure I change their bedding completely every other day if not every day. So, the girls are happy, drinking their antibiotics, eating and fussing well.

So, I bought a HUGE bag of pine shavings on the way home and a handful of mealworms and everyone is snoozing happily. I will of course continue to worry and hover until I move them into a bigger brooder and into the lvingroom next week. The good note...chicks are doing good, full of mealworms and the vet bill was 10.00 plus 8.00 for antibiotics. I do so love my vet.
big_smile.png

The girls today ( a couple hiding):
HPIM2365Small.jpg

Sandy's wing exercises while hanging on to daughter's hand:

HPIM2378Small.jpg

Last edited:
You're so funny
smile.png
My vet would laugh at me too
smile.png
That's a darn good vet to only charge you $18!
What are the black one's w/white bellies? They sure are pretty! Look kinda of familar..
Kristi

Those two fat fluffys are Australorps that is Molly and Holly. Molly has more white on her head and face right now. We will eventually have to tell them apart by their beaks.
lol.png

Re Vet: he could not charge me more than 10.00....he spent ten minutes playing with them!

Last edited:
I love Australorps! I miss my Australorp hen and think I'm gonna need another this year.

Don't be embarrassed about caring for your chickies. I'm the same way, but unfortinatly we don't have a poultry vet around here that I know of. The girls at the vet clinic I work for make fun of me for being obsessed over my chickens.
roll.png
They just roll their eyes and tell me I have issues and ALWAYS say "This is why you are single.":aww

LOL Rebel Chicken. Well my vet is not a poultry vet either...mainly dogs and cats...but he does small animals also. he actually looked up the best antibiotic to give poultry, calculated the amount for me based on their age and size...he is a trip! He has a soft spot for any animal... especially a baby. He took care of my daughter's pet rat in his geriatric stage...

be sure to follow that course of antibiotics with a live culure yogurt for a few weeks minimum to help restore the gutflora (antibiotics will kill off the "good" as well as pathogenic bacteria).
Humidity inside the home 9especially when the heating is on) is often a problem which dries out the mucus membranes and causes sneezing... the humidity should be at a min of 70% in the area you are keeping your chicks... one way to address this is to hang a wet towel close to their brooder.

Thanks so much for the tips dlhunicorn. Any specific type of live culture yogurt? one better than the other?

I keep them in the masterbath/walk-in just for that reason. There are no heating vents in there and the humidity level stays pretty good. I will keep a check on it though.

Again, many thanks because my little girls are very important to me...they have won my heart for sure.
big_smile.png

I have lived in Holland for many years now so am not in the best position to advise you on a brand ...just as long as it is plain and unflavored and I do know there is an official seal on the brands where the amount of live cultures are guranteed (so look for that perhaps?)

Back
Top Bottom